Callsign
ad: Rohn-1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Echostation repeater software with NOAA Weather alerts?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl

Default Echostation repeater software with NOAA Weather alerts?

Hello all, I've been working on setting up a repeater with Echostation software/pc as the controller. - It's nearing completion, and I was wondering if anyone has any info on adding WX alerts using Echostation?

Or possibly running the WX radio through the soundcard interface with the tx radio?

I contacted K1RFD (Echostation creator), his reply was "EchoLink doesn't have built-in support for a feature such as this, but it might be possible to craft a solution using the EchoLink API. You can get specifics on the EchoLink API by downloading the Programmer's Reference from the Downloads page."

I've looked and haven't been able to find any API info, and if I did; i'm not that knowledgeable on programming/coding anyway.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Maybe since FD has calmed down, someone might have an answer now?

Thanks.

echostation? people use that?

my advice, get a real controller.

Hi, thanks for the advice. If financial matters were easier for myself, and our club; that'd be no problem.

Would you like to donate?

Quote Originally Posted by KD8NCL View Post
    Hi, thanks for the advice. If financial matters were easier for myself, and our club; that'd be no problem.

Would you like to donate?

You should be able to feed your WX Radio into the computer soundcard and use VOX for keying.

A WX radio with SAME will normally announce then shut off.

Have Fun.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

At one tlme it was illegal to directly rebroadcast any 'other' radio service on the ham bands.
    The exception ,I think , was astronauts communication.
    The thought at the time was to broadcast the time signals on 2 meter simplex around a fairly large field day layout, to start right on the money..

Was rule out as illegal.

just my thoughts..

See FCC Part 97.114 (5)

-Weather reports and forecasts may only be retransmitted when no other means is available from public sources.

-Weather forecasts may not be transmitted on a regular basis, and must be incidental to normal amateur transmissions.
    "Loading Zone: No Parking"

Quote Originally Posted by KB4QAA View Post
    See FCC Part 97.114 (5)

-Weather reports and forecasts may only be retransmitted when no other means is available from public sources.

-Weather forecasts may not be transmitted on a regular basis, and must be incidental to normal amateur transmissions.
    Unfortunately, 97.114 is no longer there. The current regulation is 97.113(c):

(c) No station shall retransmit programs or signals emanating from any type of radio station other than an amateur station, except propagation and weather forecast information intended for use by the general public and originated from United States Government stations, and communications, including incidental music, originating on United States Government frequencies between a manned spacecraft and its associated Earth stations. Prior approval for manned spacecraft communications retransmissions must be obtained from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Such retransmissions must be for the exclusive use of amateur radio operators. Propagation, weather forecasts, and manned spacecraft communications retransmissions may not be conducted on a regular basis, but only occasionally, as an incident of normal amateur radio communications.

So, propagation and weather information originating from a government station is kosher. There has been an issue, however, with automatically retransmitting 'Amber Alerts' that are sent out from NOAA weather stations, since these are neither weather nor propagation related. Some repeaters are set up to retransmit part of the WWV propagation forecast automatically, and many restransmit the NOAA alerts. The Ambert Alert issue was raised some years ago, and I don't think FCC has ever pursued it.

NOAA sends out text versions of it's weather alerts. Echostation wants to transmit pre-recorded messages. If you could set up a computer routine to convert the NOAA text to an audio file, and place it in a message folder for EchoStation to find, you'd be set. This sounds like something that might be easy to do with Linux. You can also get the NWS warnings sent out as SMS text messages. There are apps out there to do SMS messaging and read the messages as audio.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    Unfortunately, 97.114 is no longer there. The current regulation is 97.113(c):

(c) No station shall retransmit programs or signals emanating from any type of radio station other than an amateur station, except propagation and weather forecast information intended for use by the general public and originated from United States Government stations, and communications, including incidental music, originating on United States Government frequencies between a manned spacecraft and its associated Earth stations. Prior approval for manned spacecraft communications retransmissions must be obtained from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Such retransmissions must be for the exclusive use of amateur radio operators. Propagation, weather forecasts, and manned spacecraft communications retransmissions may not be conducted on a regular basis, but only occasionally, as an incident of normal amateur radio communications.

So, propagation and weather information originating from a government station is kosher. There has been an issue, however, with automatically retransmitting 'Amber Alerts' that are sent out from NOAA weather stations, since these are neither weather nor propagation related. Some repeaters are set up to retransmit part of the WWV propagation forecast automatically, and many restransmit the NOAA alerts. The Ambert Alert issue was raised some years ago, and I don't think FCC has ever pursued it.

NOAA sends out text versions of it's weather alerts. Echostation wants to transmit pre-recorded messages. If you could set up a computer routine to convert the NOAA text to an audio file, and place it in a message folder for EchoStation to find, you'd be set. This sounds like something that might be easy to do with Linux. You can also get the NWS warnings sent out as SMS text messages. There are apps out there to do SMS messaging and read the messages as audio.

Great Info.

I do have NOAA on my repeaters, but normally only when Hurricanes come into the Gulf, and that is acceptable.

You could write a simple program to meet the need at hand, It is doable.

Have Fun Everyone.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Thanks everyone, for your replies and advisements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast