ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

Cool

A few years back I really wanted to get on HF. #The only barrier to this was learning CW. #This is a task I did not enjoy. #(It was hard justifying this much effort on something I thought would never be used again #-- in my mind it was like having to learn the alphabet all over again.) #Needless to say, I learned the code, passed the test and the rest is history.

Thinking back I remember using a practice key while I was listening to the tapes. #Found it was a lot harder to send and receive. #Several folks offered to practice sending and receiving over simplex 2 meters. #Unfortunately I didn't have the equipment to do this. #(All I had was a Kenwood mobile 2 meter radio and an MFJ practice key)

In retrospect, if I could have found a way to rig up my 2 meter radio to send and receive code I would have had a lot more fun. #Would have likely learned it much quicker.

Does anyone have any kits or tricks that would allow others to do what I wasn't able to figure out? (Hook a practice key up to my 2 meter mobile or HT)

May be a way to breath new life into a fine, established Amateur Radio mode of operation.

[B]DEFINITION OF A VETERAN[/B]
    A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of [I][U]"up to and including my life."[/U][/I]

The simplest way is to get a code practice oscillator. Then, if you find someone else who is willing to practice with you, simply key the microphone (on a simplex channel, not on a repeater and not on the CW portion of 2 meters) and send your Morse into the microphone. It's that easy, and it is legal on 2 meter voice frequencies. It is not CW, so it is not legal below 144.100 MHZ. And you sure don't want to do it on a repeater, unless you have the repeater owner's permission to run code practice on that machine.

If you do not have a friend within simplex range who is willing to do this with you, you may have a problem! In reality, you could use this method to call CQ, but I doubt anyone would ever answer you.

Can you otherwise key your FM mobile rig to send CW? Actually, yes, you could do that. But you would have to go inside it and be sure the modulation/deviation controls could be set to zero (or unplug the microphone, which is not a good way of making certain you are not sending some bit of modulation.) At slow speeds, you could rig your Morse key to operate the PTT contacts at the microphone jack. The problem is, how will you receive CW? And the answer is, you won't! Unless someone else is doing exactly the same thing you are doing. That would be just about zero chance unless you set it up in advance with them. By removing all traces of modulation, you could indeed move into the CW portion of two meters, but because your receiver is FM, even if someone tries to answer you, you will have a very hard time with it.

So pick method one. Find someone to practice with, and get on the air, on a voice simplex channel, and send Morse with a code practice oscillator.

Good luck, and you will find CW (even this way) interesting. Of *course* it wasn't interesting in a test. But on the air it will be something really different.

If you have some bucks to spend, you can, of course, opt for one of the all-mode VHF or even HF plus VHF radios, and then do CW the real way.

Whatever, make use of your interest. As you note, it is a tradition in ham radio, and though so many people hate that tradition, they join clubs, groups, churches, and dozens of other organizations that are almost totally tradition and think nothing of it. And wouldn't live without it!

Ed

It's too bad you don't live out here by me, Dan. I'd be more then glad to help you in 2 meter CW or CW.
    My MFJ-9402 is just eager for someone on CW, guess I must settle for the creepy crawlers at night.
    Haven't made nor heard one CW signal out here, Arizona on 2M.
    Stick with it though.

There's an article on the ARRL web site (in the members only area) that tells you how to build a little box that allows you to send modulated CW with your HT. Here's the website:

ARRL CW on HT Article

W2LYS
    [FONT="Lucida Bright"][I][SIZE="3"]God is great.
    Beer is good.
    People are crazy.[/SIZE][/I][/FONT]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kk7jk @ Mar. 03 2004,01:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It&#39;s too bad you don&#39;t live out here by me, Dan. I&#39;d be more then glad to help you in 2 meter CW or CW.
    My MFJ-9402 is just eager for someone on CW, guess I must settle for the creepy crawlers at night.
    Haven&#39;t made nor heard one CW signal out here, Arizona on 2M.
    Stick with it though.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    To clarify, I learned CW and got my General a few years back.

I&#39;m just hearing the same thing from Tech&#39;s in the local area that I thought two years ago and was looking for options.

Appreciate the offer to help -- hope you can keep your sense of humor when I get my key hooked up to HF and see how truely rusty I actually am
    A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of [I][U]"up to and including my life."[/U][/I]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W2LYS @ Mar. 03 2004,10:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There&#39;s an article on the ARRL web site (in the members only area) that tells you how to build a little box that allows you to send modulated CW with your HT. #Here&#39;s the website:

ARRL CW on HT Article

W2LYS[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Now this is exactly what I was looking for

Thanks -- will pass this on to a few folks. Good simple project also to get some hands on electronics experience&#33;

Well done&#33;&#33;&#33;

Let me know how well that works... I might have to try it out so I can learn.

There&#39;s a local guy (WA5KRP) that does code practice 2 or three times a week... might have to suggest he try getting the info out there and having two way code practice.

W2LYS
    [FONT="Lucida Bright"][I][SIZE="3"]God is great.
    Beer is good.
    People are crazy.[/SIZE][/I][/FONT]

Rusty, heck I&#39;m rusty and crusty as a nice Old Geezer.
    Doesn&#39;t bother me except when the contacts send stuff I didn&#39;t.
    I prefer the contacts to be flat and that can be time consuming, anyway, when we contact each other, laughter all the way and have some fun, Dan.
    An Army BA-200 battery (6V), telephone ear-piece and some wire, you got a 1KC oscillator and cheap too.

If anyone ever interested in doing CW on 2 meters and is in the Atlanta, GA, area, let me know. I&#39;m primarily situated for FM (vertically polarized antenna) but I&#39;ll try it if anyone wants to.
    Jonathan Cullifer
    W4CGP

I live about 25 miles south of Seattle. A year ago I restored a Heath Pawnee. It is an AM/CW tranciever. But all I ever hear on it is FM repeaters. Occasionally I hear some SSB but this reciever is not good for SB.

In the old days, MCW was by far the most common way of operating CW on the VHF/UHF bands. And it would seem to me that any FM tranciever should be easily modified without going internal. Just a switch box in the mike leads to key the Tx and insert the audio from a practice oscillator.

There is really no need to do real CW on 2M

Bob Macklin
    K5MYJ/7
    Kent, Wa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast