ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec

Default Need a replacement for 2N4416

I have a radio project book that uses the 2N4416, saying that it's only a few cents. Must be old information, because they're now several dollars each.

Is 2N3819 a suitable replacement? At 84 cents from Mouser it's still a little high if I want to get a bunch for experimenting.

Thoughts?

Mike

Do a Bing search for the datasheets for each of the two part numbers, find a free .pdf download for each and check the two against each other.

Bipolar transistors, the substitute should meet or exceed the VCBo specs of the target, also check the hFe gain figure to make sure that the sub has the same or better gain spec. and ignore the rest of the data.

Those two parameters are 90% or more of what's needed to know in order to substitute, the only other parameter to check is the Frequency in MHz spec, although these days it is not quite the problem it once was, just make sure that the sub can handle the freq of the orig - or higher - something likely to be of importance if it is in an RF circuit, not so important in other circuits such as AF or Switching, etc.

According to NTE's software http://nte01.nteinc.com/webforms.nsf/qcsignin?openform
    both transistors sub to NTE312, so it should work.

Note that the pinout may be different than the original so check the data sheets. Also the case is a TO-92.

"Industry Number : 2N3819
    NTE Device Number: NTE312
    JFET-N-CH,VHF AMP/MIX,TO-92

Lead configuration may vary from the original device. Consult technical section for device outline."

If noise is not a big concern then the sub should work.

If low noise is needed, then the metal can or surface mount may be better.

Have Fun.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

I don't know, they're just oscillator projects.

Mike -

Good exercise in reviewing component specifications/characteristics.
    In some applications, the 2N4416 package is desired (sealed case) such as military or harsh environments.

Vishay Siliconix 2N4416/2N4416A/SST4416 datasheet : N-Channel J-FET, sealed TO-72 case
    http://www.micropik.com/PDF/2N4416.pdf

Fairchild 2N3819 datasheet : N-Channel JFET, TO-92 case
    This device is designed for RF amplifier and mixer applications operating up to 450MHz,
    and for analog switching requiring low capacitance.

http://www.ee.buffalo.edu/courses/elab/2N3819.pdf
    Last edited by W9GB; 05-27-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Nullius in verba

The MPF-102 and MPF-105 are also basically plastic versions of the 2N4416 and will work fine as oscillators.

Radio Shack has JFETs for $0.74 each if you need a really fast source.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=12669038

Glen, K9STH

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    The MPF-102 and MPF-105 are also basically plastic versions of the 2N4416 and will work fine as oscillators.
    Sorry for assuming the transistor is a bipolar above.

Yes, with FETs you can get away with quite a bit in the way of subbing, those MPF trannies are good to have in the parts drawer.

The four-lead in metal case types may need a bit more though.

When subbing small sig FETs, I look at the Gain figure after ascertaining that I've got the polarity right. Have been bitten by trying to sub one with a lower Gain in a Hi-Gain hole.

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post

Radio Shack has JFETs for $0.74 each if you need a really fast source.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=12669038

Glen, K9STH

Not sure I would waste my money on a part that just has NTE as a marking.

If I went to Radio Shack I would have to wait for Cell Phone buyers, before I could pay.

You can probably buy 10 of the correct parts for the price of 1 unmarked RS blank.

I have seen many junk parts in RS. You need to have your tit in the wringer to buy semiconductors there.

Maybe it is just me.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

JLM:

Actually, Radio Shack is in financial trouble because people are not "lining up" to purchase cellular telephones!

Glen, K9STH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast