ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters

Default Transmit Monitors and speech processing

I am in the market to buy a new-to-me radio. Some of the models on my short list are the TS-480, TS-590, Jupiter, FT-950, IC-7200 and a few others. I was reading some reviews on the Jupiter and one of the reviewers said that on that radio you can't hear the processing in the tx monitor. Is this normal with IF DSP rigs? What rigs can you hear the processing in the TX monitor?

I have been using my TS-850 for years and years and it has a good tx monitor. I use it most of the time. This is a deal breaker for me. If the the Jupiter really works the way the reviewer said it does, then I can cross it off of my list. I know that the monitor function is not the very best way to hear what my audio and I could use another receiver or have someone record my audio, etc. That's not what I'm trying to accomplish.

So, is this really how the Jupiter works and what other radios have this issue?

Thanks

K5JCT

I am a former Jupiter owner and yes, this is how it works. The other thing that you might want to consider is that unless Ten Tec has any left in stock (which I doubt), you will be buying a used one since they stopped manufacturing this rig several months ago.

I lost my Jupiter last July when we took a lightning hit. The Jupiter was still being made at that time so I could have replaced it with a new one, but I decided to go with an Icom IC-7410 instead... a rig on which you can hear the transmit bandwidth changes when you use the monitor function.

The Jupiter was, for all intents and purposes, replaced by the Eagle. I don't own one, so I can't say if the monitor function is the same as the Jupiter.

I will say that I am extremely pleased with the IC-7410 for many reasons.

The price of the IC-7410 is quite a bit more than the IC-7200, but is a little less than the Eagle.
    de Scott NĜIU

Thanks Scott

That confirms my info on the Jupiter. I will likely buy a good used radio. So the Jupiter was still on the list. Now it's not. I will however do some research on the 7410. I think if I were going to spend that much I would go with the 590, but I will expand my search a little in that price range.

What about the omni vii?

Well I don't know anything about the Omni VII other than what I read in the product brochure. And although this may be a very unpopular thing to say, I am probably done with buying Ten Tec rigs... at least for now.

It has nothing to do with their quality at all, but it has more to do my operating preferences. As much as I enjoy CW and as much as this is Ten Tec's claim to fame, my operating preferences also involve other modes. While the Jupiter (and I am sure their other rigs) are certainly very capable when it comes to phone and digital, it is certainly not their strength.

OTOH, this particular ICOM is just an OK rig when it comes to CW, especially QSK. When it comes to phone, there are three customizeable transmit bandwidths. You no longer need a microphone with dual elements since you can have three "virtual microphones" for rag chewing, contesting and contesting.

But where this Icom really shines is the digital modes, especially FSK RTTY where there are filters just for that mode. In addition to that, you no longer need an outboard soundcard interface since CI-V rig control AND audio input/output is handled through a single USB cable. Unfortunately, FSK RTTY and CW keying are not handled through the USB connection.

Now if my lottery tickets had hit last night, I would have been more than happy to sell you my IC -7410, but sadly, that did not happen!

Oh well! Maybe next week?
    de Scott NĜIU

Hmmm. I have a Jupiter (and also an Orion, and TS-850S, and other rigs) and the MONItor function lets you know exactly how you sound, including the difference when you engage processing.

I just tried that, and the difference is obvious. I usually set the processor to about "5" and use it all the time. If I turn it off, you can certainly hear the difference in the MONItor.

But, it's discontinued anyway. I guess the Eagle is the intended replacement, or for a bit more $, the OMNI-VII.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Well, my Jupiter did not have the latest and greatest version of the firmware so that may have been something they changed that I missed. Either way, I am still extremely pleased with my 7410.
    de Scott NĜIU

Ok, so the Jupiter may do what I want it to. Does anyone know about the FT-950,TS-590, TS-480 or the IC-7200?

No matter the rig, there's no substitute for a second receiver and a good set of headphones.

And...if you really want to know how you sound, connect a recorder to that second receiver, record yourself, and play it back later. THAT is actually how you sound. In "real time," it's impossible to tell.

Every broadcaster knows this, which is why we all have recorders.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

I use a Softrock Ensemble II with HDSDR, with built in recording function, if I want to hear and see how my signal sounds with various audio settings.

I have found, on occasion, that what sounds good to me, does not sound good to someone else. It's all subjective, depending band conditions, QRN, QRM, other person's rig, speaker, etc.