ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Default GK509 Memory Keyer

I have bought a miniature memory keyer. There was a minimum of instruction, but looks like the Memory Keyer sits between my Bencher Paddles and the radio. There is a miniature connection port on the keyer but my key into the rig is a full-sized looks like a PL259. It is wired with 3-wires. So I guess I would need a PL259 on one end and a mini plug on the other. Would I need 3 wires. One wire on the Bencher is just ground. I have no idea if a mini plug even has 3 wire connections. I am trying to get the company in England to tell me which cable I Thanks, (Hope somebody else uses the GK509.
    WA6FYD
    Keep CW alive.

Harold -

PHONE CONNECTORS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) are normally used for CW keys, Bencher and keyers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

I spent a bit of time on Internet, to figure out what keyer you purchased.
    GHD keys and keyers are made by Toshihiko Ujiie (JA7GHD) in Sendai City, Japan.

MORSE EXPRESS in Colorado is the GHD distributor for the USA, they do offer support.
    http://www.mtechnologies.com/

HOWEVER, we still have no idea what HF radio you are trying to wire this GHD GK509 keyer to.
    Your HF radio likely uses a 1/4" Phone Jack (2 or 3 conductor) for wiring a Straight Key or Iambic Key.
    IF you have a modern radio -- you will need to TURN OFF the internal keyer OR change menu configuration to accept an input from an external keyer.

IF you have an old boat-anchor or 1970s Hybrid radio w/o internal keyer -- your connector is 2-conductor to the CW key jack.

Owners Manual for your HF radio will have instructions for key/keyer connector and wiring.
    Your local Radio Shack has parts for DIY Adapter Build, or a Ready-Made adapter.

GHD Telegraphy Key: GK509 Super Autobug Keyer
    http://mtechnologies.com/ghd/

There are two standard 1/8" (3.5 mm) phone jacks on the back for connecting your paddle, bug, or key to the keyer, and your keyer to the transmitter. Cables are included.
    The enclosure is metal, so the keyer is fully shielded.
    Current consumption is very low, and the internal batteries should provide over a year of use, even if you forget to turn the keyer off once in a while.
    The GK509 measures 3-1/4 x 2-1/2 inches and weighs 7.9 ounces.

gk509.jpg

Last edited by W9GB; 05-24-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    Nullius in verba

Thanks, Hams. 1 cable was included. I need 1 now for between the IC7200 and the Keyer. I'm not handy so will try to get a ready made connection to the rig. It uses a PL259 for the transmitter end. Yes I have looked at the manual and it shows different keyer mode connections.
    Thanks again. I only work CW but at age 83 I would like to automate some of the routine sending.
    Keep CW alive.