ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl

Default 10 meter operation ??????

Hi my name is Sal N1FEV from Boston Ma. Just last week I purchased a NEW Alinco dxsr8 Hf Radio. I am loving it. I have been a Ham since 1975 or so but have never ever been able to operate on 10 Mtrs. Why do I not hear anything on 10 Mtrs ever.... am I looking in the wrong place? I know about band conditions however I Never ever Heard anything on 10 in all my years.... can someone HELP What am I doing wrong?? Thanks Sal

Quote Originally Posted by N1FEV View Post
    Hi my name is Sal N1FEV from Boston Ma. Just last week I purchased a NEW Alinco dxsr8 Hf Radio. I am loving it. I have been a Ham since 1975 or so but have never ever been able to operate on 10 Mtrs. Why do I not hear anything on 10 Mtrs ever.... am I looking in the wrong place? I know about band conditions however I Never ever Heard anything on 10 in all my years.... can someone HELP What am I doing wrong?? Thanks Sal
    What time of day are you trying? What are you using for an antenna system? The sun has kind of spoiled play for a bit this last year. November was absolutely fantastic but its been fairly crap since then.

Welcome to the sunspot peak that isn't, at least not by past standards. But DX is still very possible. Last week, New Zealand was booming in on my trap dipole, which has a lousy SWR up there on 10. I worked him around 4:00 PM local with 50 Watts.

What kind of antenna are you using? When are you listening? Are you monitoring the DX beacons?
    "A Republic, if you can keep it" -- Ben Franklin

10m is open at some point almost every day here.

Proper timing is pretty important, and so is a good antenna system, because a lot of the openings are pretty marginal.

I hear lots and lots of fairly weak signals on 10m, using my beam. If I switch to a dipole, loop or vertical the majority of those signals drop right into the noise, and can't be heard.

When we have a "good" opening, of course signals are stronger and all sorts of stuff works. Last November (2012) 10m was open pretty much every single day and there were a lot of very strong signals that could be worked with a mobile whip. Unfortunately, it's not quite like that now; but the Sporadic-E season is coming up soon (usually peaks in mid-June) and that should produce a lot of strong 10m signals.

With the way condx are "right now," I'd recommend trying 10m from just after sunrise until mid-afternoon, as it seems to "crash and burn" after that, and it's not open at night at all other than perhaps some transequatorial paths.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

I can work the world with 100w on a simple dipole at 20 feet on 10m Have you tuned around to hear beacons in
    the beacon segment? (28.115 to 28.200) - they give you an idea when and where the band is open,
    but you do need to be able to copy CW to know what beacon you're hearing.

aside from all of that, just wait for the next contest - if you hear nothing on 10m all day long during
    an HF band SSB or CW contest, then yes - you DO have something wrong.

Because as we all know, 10-meters magically opens up for EVERY SINGLE CONTEST!

Dave
    W7UUU
    My site: www.W7UUU.net - it's not all about yew ewe you!

All I'm hearing on 10 right now is a beacon from TX about 28.277 (USB dial freq.). I'm calling CQ on JT65HF, though. So far, no takers, but some days, when I throw out a CQ on this 'dead' band, I get people calling me from all over. One fairly recent morning, the band was wide open to Africa, but you'd never know it. 10 and 6 are both open a lot more than we realize. Eskip season should be upon us very soon, so frequent openings will happen - seems kind of odd since they're predicting blizzard like conditions here for tonight!
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

I hear plenty of CW on 10, but very little phone activity. Every once in awhile it seems to open up and it's hopping, but not very often.
    An analog guy living in a digital world.

For a test of your receiver and antenna system, try to listen to the 10 meter repeater frequencies. They are usually active. FM of course if your rig has that mode. Just let your rig sit on one of the 3 available frequencies.

K2WH

The activity on 10M is mostly SSB all clumped right on 28.400. Yesterday afternoon there were 3 or 4 loud stations from S America or the Caribbean all piled up there.
    The FM sometimes comes thru, on; 29.600 simplex and repeaters above and below in 20 kHz steps from 29.520 to 29.680. There is a little CW around 28.020-28.050, and, of course, illegal CB type operation on LSB from 28.000 to 28.300.
    At night, an hour after local sunset the band goes pretty dead.
    I started operating on 10M in the late 60s and have worked some of my best DX on that band during the last three sunspot cycle peaks.
    Last edited by K8JD; 05-02-2013 at 12:59 AM.
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

Almost every day I hear a lot of CW on the bottom of the band where my antenna doesn't work so well, SSB all over the voice portion of the band, and at least one repeater in the FM portion. I never hear any AM unless I call CQ and someone local comes back.

OP: Have you ever called CQ on 10?
    Please wait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast