from 7040 to 7030

because the rest of the world was using 7030 as qrp calling freq

7040 is the European RTTY calling freq

east coast and midwest qrp ops were finding
    7040 to be tied up by strong signal RTTY boys
    that did not hear qrp traffic on the freq

oy oy
    mac

I have never understood the point of having designated QRP calling frequencies on HF, and have never used them. It's just silly and pointless.

If you are QRP, either call CQ somewhere and hope to be heard, or go hunt down your prey. For everyone else, if you want to work QRP'ers, then slowly and carefully tune the band listening for that faint signal...

This continuing push to have assigned, canned, and pre-packed operations is not a trend in keeping with ham traditions!
    "RF gotta go somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by KB4QAA View Post
    I have never understood the point of having designated QRP calling frequencies on HF, and have never used them. It's just silly and pointless.

If you are QRP, either call CQ somewhere and hope to be heard, or go hunt down your prey. For everyone else, if you want to work QRP'ers, then slowly and carefully tune the band listening for that faint signal...

This continuing push to have assigned, canned, and pre-packed operations is not a trend in keeping with ham traditions!

I kind of agree, it's a bit silly.

I'm not a QRP'er much, but what I often do on CW is make a contact with 100W and if I get a 599 report, my next transmission is at 5W, just to see if the other guy notices. If he doesn't report he's losing me, the next transmission is at 1W, to see if he notices then.

When prop's good and signals are strong, I've dropped down to 100mW sometimes before the other guy reports on the QSB. I never say what I'm doing, as it's just an experiment for "me," and not the other guy.

Although not listed as a specification, my TT Jupiter, for example, seems to be able to dial down to <100mW just by turning the power level control. I don't think they claim that, but it does that.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    I've dropped down to 100mW sometimes .
    Hi Steve - what radio do you use that allows you to drop power from 100W to 100mW, and how
    are you accurately measuring power that low while being able to also handle the 100W?

I have a mW power meter but it only goes to 20 watts on high power (20mW on low). I'd
    have to switch it out to run my FT-950 at 100W. Plus my Yaesu only throttles down to
    5 watts (I do it with HRD control).

Just curious how you're doing the above.

Dave
    W7UUU
    My site: www.W7UUU.net - it's not all about yew ewe you!

Assuming there is a whole lot of stuff in this world that you will never understand, do you also just assume that to be silly and pointless too?

They're called watering holes for a reason. See if you can guess why.
    God bless America

qrp calling freq's come from pre Argonaut days
    Mike WA8MCQ Ade W0RSP Doug W1CER
    the first few years of the modern QRP movement

when nearly all qrp ops were rock bound
    it simply made sense to have common freqs
    to find fellow qrp ops

when running qrp es qrpp its even more fun
    to run in to a fellow low pwr op
    watering holes make it easier to find fellow qrp ops

Mac
    ARCI # 4203
    Last edited by W8ZNX; 04-06-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Dave, W7UUU
    Thanks for the tip on 14.060 MHz QRP water-hole.
    It is so near some digital comm noise here that I had avoided anything above 14.050.
    But, it is alive and well, as you suggested.
    Just need to tune a little more carefully.

This fine Kenwood TS830S from 1980's has a hot receiver, variable bandpass IF,
    and combined with my own mechanical CW audio filter, copy is generally really fine on CW .
    Frequently I run it with the IF wide open at 2.8 KHz, with just my CW audio filter,
    as my filter sounds much nicer than the Narrow IF filters. Maybe it is just my old ear !

I have run 200mW on this rig.
    Bad technique, but since the power out tubes were fried when I borrowed it,
    it only puts out 1 W to 3 W (depending on how wet the ground is,
    and whether I jiggle the band-switch knob !!!).
    I am guessing that the 900V B+ is pulling the driver's RF through the tube,
    and that is only a Watt or Two. There is no apparent gain from the Final.

BUT, with only 1 W Transmitting predictably, if I want 200 mW,
    then I just switch from my outside vertical to my inside telephone cable
    running through the attic 70', under the heating duct work, etc.
    The MFJ-941E tuner will say SWR 1:5 and calculates to 200 mW going into the telephone cable.

BTW, after returning to Ham radio after 50 years, and having a new general call,
    my first contact on March 17, 2013, was with WY4J in Miami, to here Memphis, TN, 862 miles on 200 mW.
    That calculates to 4310 miles per watt. I was very surprised, and it made me a believer in QRP.

Doing QRP, I usually copy signals that don't push the S meter at all.
    It takes a lot of skill to pull out a signal that is near and in-out of the noise.
    That is what makes CW QRP more fun
    than buying a super rig and making two machines talk to each other

That's my story, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by W7UUU View Post
    Hi Steve - what radio do you use that allows you to drop power from 100W to 100mW, and how
    are you accurately measuring power that low while being able to also handle the 100W?

I have a mW power meter but it only goes to 20 watts on high power (20mW on low). I'd
    have to switch it out to run my FT-950 at 100W. Plus my Yaesu only throttles down to
    5 watts (I do it with HRD control).

Just curious how you're doing the above.

Dave
    W7UUU
    I use an Autek WM-1, which is pretty accurate from legal limit down to about 2W (you do have to switch ranges, as they are 2000-200-20W full scale, switchable). Below that what I've done is just use my Boonton RF Microwattmeter (42AD) to determine what the rig's output really is from 1W down (it will measure down to about 10uW with +/- 1dB accuracy) and for those levels I marked the front panel control, so I don't go back and re-check it all the time. The markings seem to be fairly consistent, probably within a dB or so band-to-band.

My Ten Tec Jupiter will go down to 100mW or lower, although the specs don't claim it will. But it does. Single front panel control will zip it from 100W to 100mW with the twist of one knob, in a second.

Interestingly, the TTs TFT display provides a 3-digit display of output power which is eerily accurate from 105W (max) down to 1W. When it reads "1," the output really is about 1W. No menus or pre-sets or anything like that, just hit PWR and turn a panel knob. Very convenient.

However, if you hit the TUNE button to engage the internal ATU, that overrides the PWR setting and always runs ~20W output for tuning up. I did that in the middle of a QRP QSO one time and the other guy said, "huge QSB, for a few secs u peaked up to S9 plus then back down again." That's when I hit the TUNE button. I'd like to be able to override that and have it tune up at 1W or less, but maybe it just can't.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Most of my HF operating is QRP, and I'm generally not worried about the other guy's power level, so I don't bother too much with QRP calling frequencies. But some prefer 2-way QRP, so it makes sense to have a spot to start looking. Also, as noted above, if you're building a crystal-controlled rig, it's a good idea to have the same crystal as the other people you want to work.

UUU's chart above looks more or less accurate. As noted, most of the 40 meter QRP'ers seem to have moved from 7040 to 7030. I guess the 40 meter "novice" frequency is still OK, but novices are no longer allowed on the 80 meter frequency shown. So it looks like that chart is a bit out of date!

WIK: thanks for that. And of course - I should have guessed Ten Tec - I used to have an Omni-D that
    had that variable power knob that went from near zero to 100w. I sure loved the QSK on that radio!

Dave
    W7UUU
    My site: www.W7UUU.net - it's not all about yew ewe you!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast