Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to download windows service pack 1 or higher to get IE 10 ? How to do it ?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov

Default Do I need to download windows service pack 1 or higher to get IE 10 ? How to do it ?

When I tried to change my IE 7 to IE 10, a message came up that IE 10 can only be downloaded for windows service pack 1 or higher.

So from this trial effort, I now have IE 8 instead of the previous IE 7.

I looked at one microsoft web page ( below ) for downloading windows service pack 1, and it looks complicated with all those many buttons.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5842

Is there an easier and better way ?

How do I determine what windows service pack is in my computer now ?

Lenovo Windows 7 purchased new 2011

I tried this method:

To learn if Windows 7 SP1 is already installed

• Click the Start button , right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
      If Service Pack 1 is listed under Windows edition, SP1 is already installed on your computer.

Last edited by KD7SIZ; 03-20-2013 at 04:41 AM.

Why would you balk at installing the service pack? Those things fix TONS of stuff and absolutely
    will be required over time.

Just download and do what they recommend - all of my home and office computers (Win7) do
    this automatically and I've never once had an issue

Dave
    W7UUU
    My site: www.W7UUU.net - it's not all about yew ewe you!

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Service pack installs go easy these days...
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

Please recommend a web page that allows me to download the service pack, by only pressing just one button.

This web address ( below ) has ten buttons, and it is very confusing which ones I need.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5842

that doesn't exist. the easiest way for you to get this is to go to the Control Panel and choose Windows Update. This will get you the service pack (the right version for your system) and any other updates you've missed.
    [I]*censored*[/I]

Install Updates Automatically! And just my opinion IE sucks. 2nd opinion, IE 10 sucks more. There is another thread for that.
    Steve
    Macomb, IL

The easiest method is to use Windows Update.

• Go to the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 download webpage on the Microsoft website, and then click Continue.
    • Choose either the 32-bit (x86) or the 64-bit (x64) version of SP1 depending on whether you're running the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Windows 7, and then click Download.

• To find out which version you're running, click the Start button , right-click Computer, and then clickProperties. Under System, next to System type, you can view the operating system.

• To install SP1 immediately, click Open or Run, and then follow the instructions on your screen. To install SP1 later, click Save and download the installation file to your computer. When you're ready to install SP1, double-click the file.
    • On the Install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 page, click Next.
    • Follow the instructions on your screen. Your computer might restart during the installation.
    • After installation is complete, log on to your computer at the Windows logon prompt. You might see a notification indicating whether the update was successful.
    • If you disabled your antivirus software, enable it again.

I would highly recommend not using Internet Explorer for the following reason. IE is the one of the most used browsers and as such the vast majority of malware/viruses target IE as they way into your system. For this reason I would suggest using a different browser that isn't susceptible to these attacks. You don't want to be the low hanging fruit. Firefox, Opera and/or Google Chrome work just and well and in some cases better and faster.
    Electricity takes ALL paths back to the source, not just the least resistive. -Guido

The first problem I see is that unless I am completely brain dead Windows 7 came with Internet Explorer 8. This means if you just upgraded from IE 7 to IE 8, you are running Vista or XP, not Windows 7.

Allan

From the link that you provided:

"Do not click download if you are updating just one computer: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you. If Windows Update is not offering you the option to install the service pack, see KB 2498452. If you are encountering a problem when installing the service pack from Windows update, see Troubleshoot problems installing a service pack for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2."

So it appears you shouldn't select ANY of those 10 buttons...

I don't use IE on a regular basis (only when testing to see how badly it renders the HTML I am working on) because I believe it is more vulnerable to bringing you troubles. I don't think it is because of the total number of people using the browser, since it hasn't been the most popular browser since about 2008, but rather because MANY people who use IE use it because that is what came with the computer and they don't have the knowledge or inclination to attempt to install a better browser. People who don't take the time to understand the problems that can exist with IE are thus more susceptible to other exploits because if they don't have the knowledge to install a new browser, they probably don't know much about computer security and so invite trouble.

Browser usage stats from (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp) :

2013 Internet Explorer Firefox Chrome Safari Opera
    February 13.5 % 29.6 % 50.0 % 4.1 % 1.8 %
    January 14.3 % 30.2 % 48.4 % 4.2 % 1.9 %
    --
    Tom Green / W1SDM
    [URL="http://www.slowscantv.com/"]http://www.w1sdm.com/[/URL]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=DarkRed]Don't anthropomorphize computers, they hate it when you do that...[/COLOR][/FONT]

Careful Tom, different reporting services show different stats depending in who and how they monitor. The stats you presented are only for a website for web developers, so the number are slanted away from IE. For a set of statistics that show more of the "general public" usage, try this one:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/browse...=2&qpcustomd=0

These stats show IE with an overwhelming 51%+, Firefox with about 14.3% and Chrome with about 14%. These numbers are much closer to a real global picture of who uses what, and the primary reason websites should be designed for IE first, like it or not.

Personally, I like IE9, haven't been using 10 long enough to really say but so far so good, 8 was OK I guess, and as for 7..... what a piece of junk. I have web site that are compatible with IE4.5, 5, 6, 8, 9, Chrome 18+ and every version of FireFox I tried but not with IE7. What a joke.

Allan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast