ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov

Contribute
to QRZ

Post ARRL email info

More Than 20,000 arrl.net, arrl.org E-mail Addresses Blocked by Microsoft

TAGS: addition, arrl, ARRL Information Technology, ARRL volunteers, field organization, Manager Michael Keane, normal operation
    03/07/2013The ARRL IT staff has been notified that Microsoft is blocking e-mail to the more than 20,000 members who use the arrl.net e-mail forwarding service to forward e-mail to Microsoft domains (hotmail.com, msn.com, live.com and outlook.com). In addition, the blockage is also affecting those members of the ARRL’s Field Organization and other ARRL volunteers who use an arrl.org alias e-mail address to have e-mail delivered to an address with a Microsoft domain. According to ARRL Information Technology Manager Michael Keane, K1MK, the IT staff is working to have these blocks lifted and e-mail delivery restored to normal operation as quickly as possible.

May have to change my email to someone else.

http://ab8ru4.wix.com/mark-a-holman-1 **My New Web site, FREE!!

Thought something was up, haven't seen any spam in my inbox for awhile....
    Greg
    WG8Z

As I'm not an ARRL member, so I don't have the mail service, but the one reason I don't like sending TO those that do is I have no idea if it made it. No bounce notice or anything. Just falls into the "bit-bucket" if you haven't updated your info or simply don't have an address there.

Why anyone would want to send their email through an additional step, just to have @ARRL.net, is beyond my understanding. Especially with so many fine and free "real" email services available.

ARRL should take advantage of this down-time to kill that member "benefit".
    vy 73, de frank, k2ncc

Quote Originally Posted by AB8RU View Post
    May have to change my email to someone else.
    I cut all ties with Microsoft over 8 years ago.

With the exception of a single laptop, there are no computers with any Microsoft products allowed in our house!

At one time I depended on ISP email accounts and found out that doing that can be a huge mistake.

Verizon is another company that won't see a penny of my money!

As far as why use the ARRL email forwarding system, often times when on the air it is easier to tell someone " my call at ARRL.NET " then it is to try and spell out some of the oddball off the wall email addresses some people have.

KD3NE@ARRL.NET <---- shortest email address I have ever had

Forwarding email is a problematic business.

The problem is that spam gets forwarded through the ARRL's servers along with good mail. Microsoft's system probably only looks at the immedate server that it receives the spam from and therefore blacklists the ARRL's servers.

I run several mail servers which forward mail, usually to Gmail. Gmail seems to be smarter and somehow this problem doesn't seem to happen. I can see in my logs that Gmail immedately rejects some mail when my server tries to forward it but I think that only happens with the worse type of spam. In general, Gmail seems to know that my server is only a transparent pipe and not the originator of the spam. There is a help page at Gmail with guidelines for mail system administrators with a few dos and don'ts.

I wish them luck getting this fixed. I remember this happening years ago with the ARRL forwarding to Comcast. I suspect it's a challenge to even find the right people at Microsoft to talk to. The real answer is probably to filter the spam at ARRL's servers but that's easier said than done. If they do that then they really need to provide a "spam folder" or something so members can check for any good mail accidently caught but ... they're only providing a forwarding service so ... they don't have that functionality and members want the forwarding to simply work and not really think about.

I suspect there will come a day, if it's not here already, that the ARRL will regret ever starting the email forwarding service. It was a good idea at the time but ... times have probably changed.

Quote Originally Posted by K2NCC View Post
    As I'm not an ARRL member, so I don't have the mail service, but the one reason I don't like sending TO those that do is I have no idea if it made it. No bounce notice or anything. Just falls into the "bit-bucket" if you haven't updated your info or simply don't have an address there.

Why anyone would want to send their email through an additional step, just to have @ARRL.net, is beyond my understanding. Especially with so many fine and free "real" email services available.

ARRL should take advantage of this down-time to kill that member "benefit".
    The problem is not with the ARRL, it's with Microsoft. I use the forwarding address service and it works just fine for my email, but then I don't use "free" email services for anything important, just for this reason.

.............Bob
    ex-W4DFW Ham since 1970. ARRL Life Member and Volunteer Counsel

Ponied up to the Bar, with an umbrella in my drink.

< snip >
    < snip >
    Years ago, when there were a multitude of ISP's (primarily dial-up) seeking our business, it was not unusual for ISP's to merge or buy each other out -- or go out of business. Someone could be changing their primary email on a regular basis if they were unlucky to pick a provider that, one way or another, disappeared into the ether. And at the time, the few free providers often didn't provide much of an email service for free (ie, you get what you pay for) -- although they have improved muchly by now.

Factor in, as well, people who later switched providers to get a better deal, or to go from dial-up to DSL or FiOS or cable. To say nothing of those who are redirecting from computer based email to handheld smart phones or tablets.

It is often convenient to use an alias, such as an "at ARRLdot NET" or "at QSL dot Net". This way, if you change primary providers, you simply update your alias to point to the new provider.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    It is often convenient to use an alias, such as an "at ARRLdot NET" or "at QSL dot Net". This way, if you change primary providers, you simply update your alias to point to the new provider.
    I never use my ISP's email service and recommend others not to either. If you ever move or change services, well, what a pain.

Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, and the likes have been around forever. Even with hotmail going to outlook.com, you'll still get your emails from hotmail.

You're using a separate email address anyway in the ARRL forwarding process. Why not use that one? And never have to remember to change it in a forwarding system elsewhere.

Can't get much easier than the likes of frank.k2ncc at gmail, or k2ncc at outlook. Sure ARRL.net is shorter and to some "cooler" but it's one one more thing to worry about.

And honestly, I sure trust Microsoft, Google and Yahoo to get back up from a downed server faster and more reliably than I do ARRL.
    vy 73, de frank, k2ncc

Ponied up to the Bar, with an umbrella in my drink.

I never use my ISP's email service and recommend others not to either.
    < snip >
    Understood. Not everyone makes the same choices, some prefer to do things other ways.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Understood. Not everyone makes the same choices, some prefer to do things other ways.
    Sometimes doing things the "other way" keeps you from being one of the 20k who didn't get their mail.
    vy 73, de frank, k2ncc

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast