Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mosley Mini-33-WARC vs. Cushcraft MA5B - Any opinions from the experienced?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

Default Mosley Mini-33-WARC vs. Cushcraft MA5B - Any opinions from the experienced?

Mosley Mini-33-WARC vs. Cushcraft MA5B - Any opinions from the experienced? Its hard for me to determine which would be a better overall and would like some first hand opinions on either one. (The XYL will in no way condone a Hex Beam.. I have tried but she seems to be ok with the "TV Antenna").

Thanks!!!

I'm in the same boat and same position. I'm looking at the MINI-32 with the WARC dipole. The gain figures
    on the 2 element are essentially IDENTICAL to the 3 element. So the MINI32-AW is still only 3 elements but
    now 5 bands, and the gain on 10-15-20 is essentially the same as the MINI-33

Tried the Hexbeam on the XYL and let's just say that went no where FAST LOL!!

Dave
    W7UUU
    My site: www.W7UUU.net - it's not all about yew ewe you!

You are supposed to tell them it is an outdoor umbrella style clothesline and you're going green!
    If you can raise and lower it it will have a dual purpose!!
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Good point.. the Mini 32 looks like a good alternative with less metal in the air..... I guess Im questioning the efficiency between the Mosley Mini's and the Cushcraft. From what I can see the Cushcraft is using capacitance hats, Traps plus a matching box (2 baluns and some capacitors, etc) to get the antenna into resonance. I have some concerns whether or not this is adding any loss; it sure adds more components to fail. The Mosley is using simple Traps......

The Mosely has a significant amount more bandwidth and from what I can see significantly more gain. The Cushcraft is measuring theirs in dbi and Mosley in dBd. I see that they are the same numbers but that starch difference pushes me towards the Mosley. (in reality Cushcraft has about 1/2 of the gain; I dont know why though).

Any opinions out there?

Quote Originally Posted by W7UUU View Post
    I'm in the same boat and same position. I'm looking at the MINI-32 with the WARC dipole. The gain figures
    on the 2 element are essentially IDENTICAL to the 3 element. So the MINI32-AW is still only 3 elements but
    now 5 bands, and the gain on 10-15-20 is essentially the same as the MINI-33

Dave
    W7UUU

The Mosley is less complex and easier to assemble, although it's pretty light duty (I've had them "break" in Field Day operations), especially considering their full-sized beams are quite heavy-duty and seem to last forever. They pulled a lot of weight out of the "Mini" series by going to smaller, thinner materials.

If your installation won't face ice loading and heavy winds, I'd probably pick the Mosley given the choice of only these two.

Although "my" choice wouldn't be either one of them. For 5-band coverage, there are interlaced coupled element beams like F-12; interlaced trapped yagis like Hy-Gain, Mosley et al; LPDAs from Tennadyne and others; Hexbeams from a few sources; etc. I actually like all of those better than the Mini or the MA5B, having had "hands-on" with all of them. For me, when it comes to HF beams, "heavier duty" is better as I don't like picking up aluminum parts from the yard.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

I used the MA5B and found it to be a very good ant. worked the world with it at 26 feet and 100 watts. goes together pretty well---just follow the instructions. i have a mosley cl-33m now--also good but longer boom.

Quote Originally Posted by KD2CJJ View Post
    Mosley Mini-33-WARC vs. Cushcraft MA5B - Any opinions from the experienced? Its hard for me to determine which would be a better overall and would like some first hand opinions on either one. (The XYL will in no way condone a Hex Beam.. I have tried but she seems to be ok with the "TV Antenna").

Thanks!!!
    Because they are small and short, they both suck, compared to a full size antenna. But IMHO, the Cush Craft sucks less.
    If you have the room, and can sell her on a TV Antenna, consider the excellent Tennadyne Log Periodics ?
    [URL="https://plus.google.com/103580376815288647434/posts"]Chris Tucker[/URL] - KA7NIQ
    [URL="http://www.roof-cleaning-tampa.com/2010/10/volunteer-roof-cleaning-tampa.html"]Ham Does Volunteer Roof Cleaning Work For Tampa Area Charity[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by KA7NIQ View Post
    Because they are small and short, they both suck, compared to a full size antenna. But IMHO, the Cush Craft sucks less.
    If you have the room, and can sell her on a TV Antenna, consider the excellent Tennadyne Log Periodics ?
    Good suggestion. The T6 Tennadyne surely outperforms either one and it really does look like a TV antenna, although quite a "big" one. The longest element is 39 feet. But if you get it up high enough above ground, it starts looking small. At 100 feet, it really does look like a TV antenna.

Come on guys... seriously... If I could I would, but I cant. Living in the suburbs of NYC it just isnt happening... Im happy that she is OK with the small "TV Antenna". Since we are talking which sucks less why would the Cushcraft suck less in your opinion? I have heard that from others but no one can give me a good reason...

Quote Originally Posted by KD2CJJ View Post
    Come on guys... seriously... If I could I would, but I cant. Living in the suburbs of NYC it just isnt happening...
    That is your own personal limitation. Dick K2RIW lives in Dix Hills and has (maybe still has, I don't know) 100' towers in his yard.

I grew up in the suburbs of NYC and always had towers there...since I was 14 years old.

Some restrictions are only self-imposed.

I live in the largest and most populated county in the U.S. (Los Angeles) on a small city lot and have towers here. No restriction, and no ordinance says I can't.

As far as the XYL is concerned, we have a deal: I do whatever I want with my half the house and property, and she does whatever she wants with her half. My half has the towers and antennas, her half has all the fruit trees and stuff she planted. Works out great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast