ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov

Default Antenna mast made from aluminium tube

I'm planning to make a crank up mast made from one 100x100x5x6000mm and one 80x80x5x6000mm square aluminium tube(6082 alloy), where the smaller tube will telescope inside the larger one. (My idea is something similar to the Tennamast 10.7m Standard mast http://www.tennamast.com/en/Standard...10.7m-p26.html )
    I'm not quite shure how strong the aluminium mast will be compared to a Steel mast of the same dimensions. The total height of the mast will be around 11m. My plan is to use this for a broadband Hexbeam antenna. would this setup need to be guyed or is it ok to use it as a free standing mast? Another option is to attach the mast to the house at around 4-5m height.
    Any ideas or comments will be appreciated.

73 de LA3AKA, Johnny

Johnny, it sounds a bit lightweight. Steel would be stonger, 5mm is rather thick, so it could work with your guy wire idea using the aluminum...
    Free standing, no, attached at 4-5 meters up, good idea, plus your guy wires.

good luck,
    73 de XE3 / KB5VWZ ex LA1BRA (stavanger)
    tom
    Tom Layne

Square aluminium tubing is not as rigid as round tube and it will wave about in any wind unless its guyed

Mel G0GQK

May be I should consider 100x100x5mm square for the bottom section and 75x5mm roundtube for the top section, with bottom section attached to the house.

73 de LA3AKA