ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper

Default Hex beam vs vertical

Lately I have been asking a lot of questions about verticals. Had a ZeroFive that was taken down due to excessive height. I was checking things out and came across an ad for a hex beam. Looks promising, said they worked well at lower heights, I can't get above 35'. I mainly used 17 and 20. I never made a contact on 10. Tried quite often. Never found any traffic. (enough rambling) Will the hex work better than the big vertical? I only use 40 and 80 for NIVS, my little dipole will work for that.
    “Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government
    take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.” - Henry
    Ford

-A Hexbeam is not going to work any better than a Yagi or Quad at the same height.
    -Beams and dipoles work better the higher they are, and start to reach optimum performance around 1/2wl and above

How to compare a Hexbeam vs. an unloaded vertical?
    -They are different animals, the vertical is omnidirectional, but can have a low take off angle, depending on the radial field. How many radials did you have, of what length?
    -A low Hexbeam will interact with the ground affecting the take off angle, but the directionality may compensate somewhat.

You would have to try modeling the antennas. No one can give you a precise answer.

...Still, a Hexbeam at 30-35 feet should give you some good performance.
    QRZed: "Professional Grade Paranoia From Amateurs"

Short answer: Your going to be much happier and have better performance with the hexbeam at 35' then a vertical and you will make contacts on 10. As a side note, because of the angle of take off differance between a quad and a yagi a quad will have better performance then a yagi at lower heights not to mention the differance between a closed loop design VS a diploe design.

Quote Originally Posted by KB4QAA View Post
    -A Hexbeam is not going to work any better than a Yagi or Quad at the same height.
    -Beams and dipoles work better the higher they are, and start to reach optimum performance around 1/2wl and above

How to compare a Hexbeam vs. an unloaded vertical?
    -They are different animals, the vertical is omnidirectional, but can have a low take off angle, depending on the radial field. How many radials did you have, of what length?
    -A low Hexbeam will interact with the ground affecting the take off angle, but the directionality may compensate somewhat.

You would have to try modeling the antennas. No one can give you a precise answer.

...Still, a Hexbeam at 30-35 feet should give you some good performance.
    I have no room for radials. Had to depend on the counterpoise that was provided with the antenna. I have only been licensed since May of last year and a general since August. At my age I don't think I'll be modeling anything. I am hoping the knowledge and experience on the zed will help get me better quality air time. Thanks.
    “Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government
    take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.” - Henry
    Ford

A few points that my short time ham ticket , I have found .
    There are some classifications of HF antennas that are needed to help decide how to work HF , and these are generalizations that can vary with specific makes & models .
    Vertical and horizontally polarized , they are 2 different tools and do 2 different jobs , but can compliment each other , as mentioned the vertical can have take-off angles that can be better for DX and are omni directional - one thought I had is using for transmitting , they have an advantage of sending in all directions so a bigger net to find more contacts , on the downside of that you get to hear more signals that you may not want and you pickup more electrical noise in you area .
    On the down side the need for radials , if you have restrictions for putting then in ,
    And generally they can be very limited or no use for lower bands 40m and below , which is the same with beams & yagi's , needing larger elements for lower bands , it just hard support .
    Ideally it would seem that a good antenna farm would be a mix of both vertical & horizontal for 20m and above , then dipoles for the lower bands .
    Then you can get into separate Rx & Tx antennas .
    I think the best money spent is a copy of ARRL's Antenna Book and go from there , on a forum we can only touch on a few points at time .

I have tried several verticals, ground mounted and elevated. I A/B them with my Hexbeam (currently at 27') and the Hex wins everytime, Local or DX. Your mileage may vary but, my hex always comes out on top.

I have done some extensive research on the HEX designs in recent days and I am convinced you will find it perfect for your application. A Hex at 25'-25' will work nicely. If you go higher you will get a slight bit more gain but the pattern will break up. I have looked at several designs. The main thing to consider is Classic, or Broadband.

W1GQL has some great insight on home brew construction and results. http://midcoast.com/~w1gql/hex/hexbeam.htm

The G3TXQ design seems to be the best choice IMO. http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/broadband/