Callsign
ad: giga-rw

Thread: ( wspr) what is regarded as the best hardware interface for wspr?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl

Default ( wspr) what is regarded as the best hardware interface for wspr?

What hardware interface between the Transceiver and the Computer, is regarded as the best... for use with WSPR?
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][B]Don- W6PJJ[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=Blue][B]
    :cool:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by W6PJJ View Post
    What hardware interface between the Transceiver and the Computer, is regarded as the best... for use with WSPR?

Don,

That's a question that will have as many answers as you have responses. If you're running any other AFSK modes, then you already have what you need for WSPR.

What OS? As I recall, you were running OS X. Will you be running WSPR in OS X, Linux, or Windows?

The best HARDWARE interface I've found for ALL OSs is the Navigator by US Interface, as it functions fully in OS X, Linux and Windows with no issues. That being said, people run WSPR on everything from direct wire connections, to homemade interfaces, to the SignaLink USB, to the top-of-the-line microHam.

Dave
    K3DCW

Wspr and other digital modes are hardware agnostic. You can scratch build an interface on a piece of perf board or buy the most expensive commercial model, as long as they work that's all you need.
    Bos Ebal Nolom! "South African Cows on a mountain in the West Bank!"

Well, we have a number of interfaces... some homebrew others are the SignaLink. We run OSX for all our Amateur applications. I should have been more specific as to a particular need in WSPR, frequency control and stability are a absolute must. Most of the commercial USB type interfaces do not speak of stabiliy. However, when I ratrionalize the time required and spent on WSPR I would rather devote my time to making Weak-Signal contacts over listening to them. TNX for your comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by K3DCW View Post
    Don,

That's a question that will have as many answers as you have responses. If you're running any other AFSK modes, then you already have what you need for WSPR.

What OS? As I recall, you were running OS X. Will you be running WSPR in OS X, Linux, or Windows?

The best HARDWARE interface I've found for ALL OSs is the Navigator by US Interface, as it functions fully in OS X, Linux and Windows with no issues. That being said, people run WSPR on everything from direct wire connections, to homemade interfaces, to the SignaLink USB, to the top-of-the-line microHam.

Dave
    K3DCW
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][B]Don- W6PJJ[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=Blue][B]

As I mentioned to Dave, I am beginning to settle on working Weak-Signal rather than listening to it. I guess we have far too many irons in the fire presently. I was just fishing for comments from those who are presently using the stuff. We appreciate your reply, and thanks for your comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by KB4QAA View Post
    Wspr and other digital modes are hardware agnostic. You can scratch build an interface on a piece of perf board or buy the most expensive commercial model, as long as they work that's all you need.

One thing you can do to improve stability is to add a TCXO option to your radio. I've done that with my radios for over twenty years and think it helps particularly with digital operations (and satellite ops). Others disagree with me, and it certainly is not a requirement.
    Bos Ebal Nolom! "South African Cows on a mountain in the West Bank!"