ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

TS480 is a good radio, and at least on a par with others you're considering. A lot of people just love them.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

I just bought a used one less than a week ago and will be selling it. I didn't care for the detectable face.
    I always felt like I was going to break something if I pushed to hard while surfing through the menu.
    I also thought the meter was too hard to read, and the radio just didn't seem to have enough punch.
    "If it aint broke don't fix it. "If you can't fix it get a bigger hammer."

73,Tom

I think I told you to take a look at one and read the reviews on eham.net.
    Did you???
    US Army Radio Operator/instructor 1966-72
    MOS 05B/O5B4H

Thanks for all the input...pulled the trigger on a Kenwood TS-480 HX...estate from SK...like new in the box...

Welcome back. Assuming you're used to VHF/UHF, one tip about HF: Noise in the absence of a signal is a good thing, or at least normal for HF. You will learn to listen through it.

I wonder how many HF newcomers, used to utter quiet listening to FM repeaters and simplex, post here asking why they hear nothing on the new HF rig, when it's just because the squelch is too tight for SSB. You really only need the squelch for FM.
    Steve

If you have to worry about the cost of HF e-mail, you can't afford the boat.

CW: The mode that accomplishes the most with the least circuitry, the least spectrum, and the least power.

What hath God wrought?
    He hath wrought that pounding brass still kicks .- ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by KC8CTC View Post
    Thanks for all the input...pulled the trigger on a Kenwood TS-480 HX...estate from SK...like new in the box...
    Well done! Remember that:

- Techs have 10 meter phone privileges so you can get on the air and get your feet wet
    - Techs have CW priv. on 10 and slices of 15, 40, and 80 meters which I found very useful before I upgraded
    - That 480 will easily work for digital modes in the CW/Data portion of 10 meters until you upgrade and of course comes in handy after you upgrade
    - If you don't have one, you'll need to invest in a decent power supply for that sucker (the HX has more interesting uh, food requirements than my SAT)
    - The HX has no internal tuner so you'll want to look for an antenna tuner with the antenna setup you're proposing (there are several that also plug directly into the rig for push-button operation right from the head unit) unless you're going to put up a dipole for each band or build a fan dipole or trapped dipole (I'm sure I'll get crap for that)
    - Kiss your wallet goodbye once you get hooked on HF!

de Jim

Yes you will find more goodies to buy at every turn and many new things to learn too.
    Just keep learning and asking others about purchases before you spend money like you did hear.
    Enjoy!
    US Army Radio Operator/instructor 1966-72
    MOS 05B/O5B4H

Don't forget with that radio (I have one the HX) ypu need a large power supply like an Astron RS-70M or A VS modelu might as well get a good supply that will last ypu and not worry about the noise from one of the cheap switchers. Look at this as a long term investment that will last a long time I have 2 of them.

DO NOT use a small PS supply with this radio you will be sorry trying to use a small 35 amp one, unless it is ment to be used with another one of the same brand to make 70 amps.

Welcome back to the Hobby and 73,
    Fred/N0AZZ
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2