ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters

The TS-590S has a CW-T button that will automatically tune the incoming signal to the tone frequency you have selected. Just push the button and done. Another way is the display I get on a spectrum where I can move the tuning up or down to get very close to exactly on. There are times when the TS-590S goes off in a tangent. Mostly though it works even on weak signals in the noise.
    Don't really know how TenTec does theirs. Might be better.
    Have fun and go to the nearest Amateur Radio shop and try it out.
    Gary

Savanna, Illinois, the west coast of Illinois that is.

Hummm, a zero beat app?

Pffft!

I got one between my ears that has worked out pretty darn good for me over the years.

The old saying close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades should also include tuning in your shortwave signals.
    KA9VQF

Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.

“The only difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstein

If you can't tell without an indicator, why would you need the indicator anyway?
    Please wait.

Quote Originally Posted by KI6J View Post
    Yes, these would be especially useful with small QRP rigs that don't have a spot function. In fact, come to think of it, I have a few QRP rigs like that....hmmmm....

I go one step farther.

Using FLDigi, I've centered (in Config) CW to my transceiver's audio freguency offset, which in my case is 800Hz. At a glance, I can tell if I'm high or low. And correct it almost instantly.

Sometimes, being spot-on is the difference between making the contact and not.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by WB3BEL View Post
    For rigs not having some visual zero beat indicator, you can always run a waterfall spectrum program on the receiver. Use whatever spectrum display program you like. Perhaps one you already use for digital modes. Merely adjust the tuning knob to put the received CW tone on the right frequency.
    Member: Backyard Engineering Group

I use the Mk.1 ear'ole ...seems to have worked well for several decades.

Quote Originally Posted by K7JBQ View Post
    I go one step farther.

Using FLDigi, I've centered (in Config) CW to my transceiver's audio freguency offset, which in my case is 800Hz. At a glance, I can tell if I'm high or low. And correct it almost instantly.

Sometimes, being spot-on is the difference between making the contact and not.

Bill
    I do the same thing.

I envy you guys with perfect hearing. I suffer from tinnitus (ringing in the ears) of varying intensity, and sometimes have trouble zero beating. My ears just aren't reliable. Most of the CW reader apps show the received tone frequency, and I use one to quickly tune the incoming signal to my 600 Hz setting. I try to be within 10 Hz, but without help I can easily be off 50-100 Hz and not know it.

And another zero beat kit: http://wb9kzy.com/zerobeat.htm
    73 de Steve, N4IAG
    The most important things in life aren't things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2