Callsign
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use ALC hook up from Amp to Radio?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Anyone use ALC hook up from Amp to Radio?

Have heard pros and cons on this issue for some time. Anyone using their ALC from their radio to the amp?

Quote Originally Posted by NW9R View Post
    Have heard pros and cons on this issue for some time. Anyone using their ALC from their radio to the amp?
    It helps if you can possibly over drive the amp with your radio.
    My first amp was homebrew 4x811A tubes and I never built any ALC Feedback into it, the next one was a Henry 2K and I can't recall if I made the connection to my TS520 now.
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

I have a TS-590S going into an ALS-600. It needs about 55 watts for full output without over-driving the amplifier. Use of the ALC is added insurance that I won't make a mistake and the rig will not be able to over-drive the amplifier. It also assists in a possible spike that is reported on the TS-590S and other units that also have that possibility.
    Have fun
    Gary

ALC connection, if levels are compatible and all works well, can be very helpful.

If not, then not.

Depends on the amp and the transmitter.

If I use my AL-80B with my Drake TR-7, connecting the ALC not only prevents overdrive, but actually boosts average power, which is very obvious to see on the scope or a wattmeter. It puts the amp inside the control loop of the transceiver, which can be a good thing; however there are many incompatibilities that exist and this isn't always the case.

With my setup, when I "connect" the ALC loop, literally everyone I work says, "Wow, what an improvement!" and can actually hear me better. But the AL-80B has a very good ALC circuit, not all amps do.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    ALC connection, if levels are compatible and all works well, can be very helpful.

If not, then not.

Depends on the amp and the transmitter.

If I use my AL-80B with my Drake TR-7, connecting the ALC not only prevents overdrive, but actually boosts average power, which is very obvious to see on the scope or a wattmeter. It puts the amp inside the control loop of the transceiver, which can be a good thing; however there are many incompatibilities that exist and this isn't always the case.

With my setup, when I "connect" the ALC loop, literally everyone I work says, "Wow, what an improvement!" and can actually hear me better. But the AL-80B has a very good ALC circuit, not all amps do.
    It does sound really good.

I don't use the ALC the three radios I currently use with the SB-220 don't put out enough to overdrive the amplifier and the SB-220's alc isn't adjustable. If I should decide to use the Tempo-One with the amplifier I'll hook up the ALC as that will drive the amplifier hard enough that it will be necessary.
    When it's time, it's time, and it maybe sooner than you think.

I run one of my radios, the 1000MK5 with the ACOM amp. Doubtful the ALC will do much but likely, will interconnect as a precautionary note. In years past, I use to always do this but in recent time, I have more or less noted my transmitted ALC range and not relied on the ALC line to the amp. But, probably a good thing to do, either helps but doesn't hurt either if not needed.

I run one of my radios, the 1000MK5 with the ACOM amp. Doubtful the ALC will do much but likely, will interconnect as a precautionary note. In years past, I use to always do this but in recent time, I have more or less noted my transmitted ALC range and not relied on the ALC line to the amp. But, probably a good thing to do, either helps but doesn't hurt either if not needed.
    If it works for you, you'll likely have a better signal with it than without it. However, there can be incompatibilities in levels and time constants that negate that. Takes some experimentation.

If you have a scope, take a look at your output envelope with and without the ALC connection. If it looks "fuller," with higher average power with the ALC connected, I'd say leave it connected. Mine does.

Yeah, no scope here Steve, but will see about "on the air" reports.

Sure, try that.

Be prepared to switch very quickly, though, as propagation changes everything very quickly.

I tried the same test (ALC connected, or not) about 500 times and can switch from one to the other in much less than one second, by flipping a switch. That helps reduce the varagries of propagation.

An average-responding meter will indicate more signal if there is any peak limiting (or compression) happening.

I don't use ALC with my TS850 and unmodified SB220. Instead, I use a box ahead of the mic input that reduces the dynamic range of the audio (a compressor). The signal into the rig's mic input won't go above a certain level. After tuning up and adjusting so my inexpensive and easy to use 100 MHz lab oscilloscope shows maximum output and I'm not flat topping (clipping), I'm done. I often get unsolicited "you sound GREAT" and "you're VERY loud" reports.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast