ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Default Dual Bander for dummies.

I am a new ham, and bought a Kenwood TM D710A 2 meter/440 rig. I am basically blind on the basic operations. I have heard locals on 2 meter, also guys in California. I have attempted to make contacts and although i know new guys are sometimes ignored, i feel like i have set the rig wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thankz

Bill,
    Saying that you 'set the rig wrong' is kinda open ended. It would be hard to know just what's going on without a little more information. I'm sure there are some guys on the forum that know that radio. Try and give them as much information as you can as to what's going on.
    [IMG]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh153/kc7riy/operator2.jpg[/IMG]
    [QUOTE]"America's quiet warriors are the legion of ham radio operators, 700,000 of them, who are always at ready for backup duty in emergencies amateur, unpaid, uncelebrated, civilian radio operators, during and after floods and fires and tornadoes. After the 9/11 attacks, hams were indispensable in reuniting friends and families. Most recently it was they who expedited the search for debris after the Columbia Explosion , and right now, at this moment, they are involved in homeland security to a greater degree than you would want me to make public."[/QUOTE][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B]

[COLOR=#000080]Paul Harvey[/COLOR] News and Comment, ABC Radio, March 19, 2003 [/B][/FONT][/FONT]

If you're hearing local guys and people in CA, you're probably listening to a repeater that's also linked with a repeater in CA. You should make note of the frequency and look it up online. Just Google the frequency and the word "texas" and you'll find out where it's at pretty quickly. Use the online information to program the repeater offset and CTCSS/DCS/PL tone so you can access the repeater too. If you need a simpler manual for the D710, try one of the Nifty Mini Manuals. A D710 is a lot of radio to learn for ANY ham, especially a newer one not used to how VHF/UHF and repeaters work. There are probably Yahoo groups dedicated to that radio too. That radio was designed for APRS and other digital modes, so if you just want to TALK to people rather than swap location data or use it to set up an Echolink node, I'd sell it and get a simpler radio to use. It IS an excellent rig to grow into the hobby with, but a LOT of features for a newcomer to wade through.

Thanks, i will probably keep it and think about something im used to. I have been an avid CB'er since i was 12 and SSB for lots of years.

If you heard stations very far away via VHF-FM, you may have been listening to an IRLP node, and just "transmitting" even on the correct frequency, won't necessarily let you participate in that. Those generally require an access code to "let you in," and the owner of the local node would need to provide that to you. Could be an individual, or a club.

It pays to hook up with some locals (via a local radio club is a great way) and ask some questions.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by KF5STI View Post
    I am a new ham, and bought a Kenwood TM D710A 2 meter/440 rig. I am basically blind on the basic operations. I have heard locals on 2 meter, also guys in California. I have attempted to make contacts and although i know new guys are sometimes ignored, i feel like i have set the rig wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thankz
    I have had a Kenwood TM-D710A for a number of years now and really like it. I'm over in Mesquite on the east side of Dallas. If you like we can meet and I can show you around the rig and program it with a set of local frequencies.

My standard fee for such Elmering services is a glass of iced tea.

Andy

He's in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, so he's got lots of possibilities. I believe there is even at least one system in that area linked into the WIN System on the west coast, and that may well be what he heard.

Basically, how are you programming the radio? The programming cable and software are really needed to get the most out of it. I have a D710 that I use mobile all the time. I have the main body of the rig mounted behind the back seat of my pickup, with an RS-232 cable permanently plugged into it, so I can change the programming on it from a laptop without having to tear into the seats to get at it.

If you have a GPS unit for it, there are some quick guides out there on how to set the rig up to do APRS. If you Goggle 'TMD710 Setup' you will get several of them, including some YouTube videos on how to set it up.

I like to use either the Kenwood supplied software or CHIRP to program the radio. Unfortunately, I don't have it in front of me, but I believe you can download the results of a repeater search on the K5EHX website in 'radio programming format' which is what the popular ARRL Travel Plus program uses. I believe you can import that directly into the Kenwood programming software, which will save you tons of typing. The K5EHX web site finds 67 repeaters in your area when I search on your callsign. There are a number of menu options that you need to explore. There are several that are important for APRS use. I believe the radio is shipped to use 'narrow' FM, which is probably not the way it should be in your area - if you get complaints of low audio check that setting as well as.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Quote Originally Posted by WY5V View Post
    I have had a Kenwood TM-D710A for a number of years now and really like it. I'm over in Mesquite on the east side of Dallas. If you like we can meet and I can show you around the rig and program it with a set of local frequencies.

My standard fee for such Elmering services is a glass of iced tea.

Andy
    There ya go, Bill!! Hope you two can get together and share some tea!
    [IMG]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh153/kc7riy/operator2.jpg[/IMG]
    [QUOTE]"America's quiet warriors are the legion of ham radio operators, 700,000 of them, who are always at ready for backup duty in emergencies amateur, unpaid, uncelebrated, civilian radio operators, during and after floods and fires and tornadoes. After the 9/11 attacks, hams were indispensable in reuniting friends and families. Most recently it was they who expedited the search for debris after the Columbia Explosion , and right now, at this moment, they are involved in homeland security to a greater degree than you would want me to make public."[/QUOTE][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B]

[COLOR=#000080]Paul Harvey[/COLOR] News and Comment, ABC Radio, March 19, 2003 [/B][/FONT][/FONT]

Andy, that would be great. I leave in the AM for my 14 day hitch near Denver and will be back home the weekend of the 1st of March. I have not done any programming, could be my problem ? Anyways, look forward to meeting and getting my foot in the door.