ad: l-Heil
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Do I Really Need It?

I am waiting for my Ameritron AL-811H to arrive to use with my Yaesu FT-900AT. According to the Ameritron ads, I need an Amplifier to Transceiver
    Interface (Model ARB-704) to save my transceiver from, 1) too much relay control voltage, 2) voltage spikes, 3) excessive relay current. $60. for the interface, plus about $20. for the correct cables is not that much. I don't want to wreck my Yaesu, so $80. is cheap insurance. BUT, DO I REALLY NEED IT? All ideas considered!!!!!

Dennis KA6YGR

Dennis, I do not really know if you need one or not. If you decide you do need one, I will sell you the one I used on my ALS-600 before I sold it and upgraded to Elecraft KPA500, is in FB shape. Send me a PM if you want it, it will be a lot cheaper shipped than cost of new.
    73 de KK7EL Bruce

I have had my AL-80A connected to 3 HF rigs, with no interface unit between the rigs and amplifier. No problems. I don't know too many who are using those amps with a keying interface in line.

But if it makes you feel better than go ahead and buy one, or buy the used one being offered to you.

I just checked both, and no external interface is needed or desired with the FT-900 and AL-811H.

Just a waste of more stuff.

When Ameritron recommends the ARB-704 or whatever, that's a "general" recommendation in case a user wants to connect a modern rig to an older amplifier that uses either higher voltage or higher current keying. The AL-811H doesn't; it's 12Vdc at 100 mA, and the FT-900 can key that just fine all by itself.

I'd double my money by folding it in half and putting it back in my pocket.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?