ad: l-innov
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl

Default Do I Really Need It?

I am waiting for my Ameritron AL-811H to arrive to use with my Yaesu FT-900AT. According to the Ameritron ads, I need an Amplifier to Transceiver
    Interface (Model ARB-704) to save my transceiver from, 1) too much relay control voltage, 2) voltage spikes, 3) excessive relay current. $60. for the interface, plus about $20. for the correct cables is not that much. I don't want to wreck my Yaesu, so $80. is cheap insurance. BUT, DO I REALLY NEED IT? All ideas considered!!!!!

Dennis KA6YGR

Dennis, I do not really know if you need one or not. If you decide you do need one, I will sell you the one I used on my ALS-600 before I sold it and upgraded to Elecraft KPA500, is in FB shape. Send me a PM if you want it, it will be a lot cheaper shipped than cost of new.
    73 de KK7EL Bruce

I have had my AL-80A connected to 3 HF rigs, with no interface unit between the rigs and amplifier. No problems. I don't know too many who are using those amps with a keying interface in line.

But if it makes you feel better than go ahead and buy one, or buy the used one being offered to you.

I just checked both, and no external interface is needed or desired with the FT-900 and AL-811H.

Just a waste of more stuff.

When Ameritron recommends the ARB-704 or whatever, that's a "general" recommendation in case a user wants to connect a modern rig to an older amplifier that uses either higher voltage or higher current keying. The AL-811H doesn't; it's 12Vdc at 100 mA, and the FT-900 can key that just fine all by itself.

I'd double my money by folding it in half and putting it back in my pocket.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw