ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters

Contribute
to QRZ

Quote Originally Posted by N5PZJ View Post

1. Use only a secure payment system like paypal (I have some reservations) or better yet US Postal Money Order sent by US Mail to a US Address (good only for USA to USA transactions).
    Be careful as many overseas scammers have enlisted someone on the US side to serve as a mail drop / forwarding service. They dupe an American into a "work from home" job. Basically the job is to forward packages overseas and to cash money orders or collect funds and send overseas.

The scammers find someone desperate for work or greedy from the promise of a commission on the funds they process. Then when the scam collapses and law enforcement or the victims close in that person is the one that is caught and the scammer is safely overseas.

If you accept payment by US Postal Money order only I can all but guarantee you will not get scammed.

In all my years selling on Ebay I always DEMANDED a US Postal Money order for payment and not once, never was I burned so long as I followed this procedure.

1) Accept ONLY US Postal Money Order
    2) Pack item for sale to be shipped ( this way I knew the actual shipping weight for ACCURATE postage calculation.
    3) Upon receipt of US Postal Money Order take the packed item and the US Postal Money Order to the Post Office ( make sure you have your ID )
    4) Present the US Postal Money Order to the Post Office Clerk and tell them you want them to CASH the Money Order ( they will check the Money Oder against a list before cashing it to insure it is legit )
    5) Once the Clerk hands you your cash, give them the package and tell them you want it shipped, paying for the shipment with the money from the Money Order

There you go, foolproof ....... you do not ship the item until you have case in hand!

ON RARE OCCASIONS ( when a customer wanted an items shipped EXPRESS )
    I would accept Western Union. ( I checked my records and this was done several times - once for a buyer in Australia )

1) Pack item for sale to be shipped ( this way I knew the actual shipping weight for ACCURATE postage calculation.
    2) Give buyer your info for the Western Union Money transfer and tell them what location you would be picking up the money
    ( make sure it is a location that will also cash the money transfer or they hand you a check and you have to deal with your bank and check holds ---- Grocery Store are good places because the already have Check Cashing services )
    3) Go To Western Union Office to pick up your CASH
    4) With CASH IN HAND you take the items to the appropriate shipper.

I have never been scammed selling online, when I read of people who were scammed I see the mistakes they made and realized that they allowed themselves to be scammed with their poor practices.

It takes two people to be scammed ..... a scammer and a willing victim.

Education is your best protection against being scammed, educate yourself, protect yourself !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K1OIK View Post
    When I saved money to send my daughter to college by shutting off lights, eating at fast food, buying a cheap car, buying cheaper cuts of meat, I was greedy?
    Perhaps it was poorly worded, but to me there is a difference between a person being fiscally responsible and being "cheap."

Regarding the scams, I would simply advise people to use a secure payment method such as Paypal, and ensure the ship to/from addresses all match up to FCC registrations, etc. One thing that would also be nice would be if QRZ implemented a buyer/seller feedback option tied directly to user profiles. I've bought and sold items on other sites (non-ham) and it reduces the scams rather significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by N0AKF View Post
    Why are the scammers hitting the ham radio sites lately? I was just had - see the post about N6VUK. Very discouraging to have this happen
    This might have been said in the other 3 pages, I didn't read through them all. I think the issue is that the scams are so easy these days with the internet that people are doing more and more of them and not getting caught. I don't think it is unique to radio and these scams have been happening on eBay and Craigslist for years and will continue until people get smarter as once that happens will be harder for these guys to watch people fall into their traps.
    73'
    +Steve/KJ5T

In that context, of course not.

I'm talking about hams with plenty of income who make a game out of their cheapness. Totally different deal.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by K1OIK View Post
    When I saved money to send my daughter to college by shutting off lights, eating at fast food, buying a cheap car, buying cheaper cuts of meat, I was greedy?
    Member: Backyard Engineering Group

Quote Originally Posted by W0KAN View Post
    Be careful as many overseas scammers have enlisted someone on the US side to serve as a mail drop / forwarding service. They dupe an American into a "work from home" job. Basically the job is to forward packages overseas and to cash money orders or collect funds and send overseas.

The scammers find someone desperate for work or greedy from the promise of a commission on the funds they process. Then when the scam collapses and law enforcement or the victims close in that person is the one that is caught and the scammer is safely overseas.
    That is why I pointed out USA to USA transactions only, quite well aware of the pigeon drop operations, these folks should be prosecuted for stupidity unbecoming a Moron, a few well publicized prosecutions of these folks will spread the word, too many folks are complaceant in this type of scam not to know it is a scam.

Sadly, Western Union is also a player here and could do more to stop these scams but the money business is booming.

Quote Originally Posted by K7JBQ View Post
    It's also because hams have a well-earned reputation for being cheapskates. If you think about it, cheapness is just another form of greed. And nothing sets you up for swindling like greed.
    Quote Originally Posted by K7JBQ View Post
    I'm talking about hams with plenty of income who make a game out of their cheapness. Totally different deal.
    Having plenty of income but no frugality (or self-control) is a good path to bankruptcy. Building wealth requires balancing income and frugality. A quiet neighbor with a 10 year old car who uses store brand foods and is seen clipping coupons and shopping at thrift stores is way more likely to be a millionare than another neighbor who always buys flashy new brand-name stuff. I don't fault anyone for trying to stretch their dollars regardless of income or reason (save for college, build emergency fund, or buy new rig). Greed goes way beyond cheapness to trying to get something too good to be true, which helps make the greedy gullible to scams.

Use Ebay. In rare incidences I have a problem, I get a refund through Paypal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3