ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper

Default The new Baofeng UV-B5 /UV-B6

Apart from the brand name, the Baofeng UV-B5 doesn't share anything with its more famous brother, the UV-5R. It's a totally different radio. The radio looks somewhat boring compared to the UV-5R, back to basics if you will.

I bought one specifically to review it on my blog, but also because you can change channel/frequency/parameters with a rotary encoder instead of Up and Down keys (which work also). I don't like Up and Down keys much.

The surprise was the receiver. Low amounts of phase noise and a reasonable front end make this radio stand out. Good reception instead of hiss, noise and a 'dead' receiver when you walk in an RF polluted area, something the UV-5R nor UV-3R can pull off here. Not as good as my VX-170 or VX-177, yet remarkable in this price class. The clarity of the TX audio surpasses the UV-5R too.

The FM radio is a bit buggy though.

The price is about the same, $51 at 409shop. Even cheaper at AliExpress, about $43. No US dealer known to me at this point in time.

Hans

http://hamgear.wordpress.com/

Price class?
    How much?
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.” Groucho Marx[/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by KI6USW View Post
    Price class?
    How much?
    It's in my post.

The price is about the same, $51 at 409shop. Even cheaper at AliExpress, about $43. No US dealer known to me at this point in time.
    Hans

I've got one, and I think I like it better than the fleet of other VHF/UHF rigs I've tried out of China the last 6 years. Performance wise I'd put it just a notch down below the Wouxun, but the cost at half the price and the better fit in my hand make it my go to rig these days over all the others I have when I'm using a HT.

As far as Baofeng goes, I've got a UV5r and UV3r plus, the UV-b5 is in another class.