Callsign
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Time Honored Protocol Ignored--or are some hams unaware?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

So, you mean then that if a DXpedition is operating on, say, 14.200MHz, they call CQ, a station XY123Z calls back, they exchange reports and 73, then it's acceptable for you to jump in and call XY123Z and carry on a QSO on 14.200MHz? And the DXPedition station should QSY? Or same during a contest.... it's ok for you to come on frequency, start a QSO with someone the station has just worked and expect the contest station to QSY?
    Quote Originally Posted by WN9HJW View Post
    Yes!

Whats selfish and rude is expecting to own a frequency indefinitely and even announcing during QSOs that you're reserving that frequency. Meanwhile there likely are dozens of other hams patiently waiting for your QSO to end so they can get on, and who don't know who called who half an hour earlier.

If someone really believes that no one owns a frequency, then if they end a QSO and someone else calls to the ham they were talking to, then they should shrug and QSY.
    Pete M3KXZ
    GQRP 11767, SKCC 10219.

Quote Originally Posted by N2EY View Post

Originally Posted by WA6MHZ
    I found that all the time on Field Day, the primary contest I operate. I am holding a frequency and some RB tries to Hijack it. Well, I just call CQFD right over him, until he gives up and looks for another freq.

Does it result in lots of QSOs or just more QRM?
    Not to mention the legality of it.
    73,CBM DOS V2,00,00

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Not to mention the legality of it.
    Of course, but that's just the icing.

Even if it's legal, that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Oh, where to start on this... I just think everyone can ID this type of operation as what it is. My first Elmer back in '73 introduced me to the concept of "LID"--a bad operator with the line: HAM Radio is based on good engineering practice and common courtesy. I've always tried to follow that on and off the air. When you deviate from "good engineering practices and common courtesy", you're no longer a good op: you become part of the problem. Insensitivity to others, selfishness, and unwillingness to show courtesy and we become the problem--we become the LID. Sure do we get stepped on? Yes, but firing back or walking on the perpetrator of the bad act does not enhance HAM Radio--It just leads, down the road, to more bad acts. Now, not only by the op mentioned in your post for being a LID, but also now by you.

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post
    I found that all the time on Field Day, the primary contest I operate. I am holding a frequency and some RB tries to Hijack it. Well, I just call CQFD right over him, until he gives up and looks for another freq. If one has a shrimpy signal, U can't expect to hold the freq. Field Day is NOT for the timid or polite. IT is a JUNGLE out there, or a Barroom Brawl. The ONLY way to hold the frequency is to be as IMPOLITE as the RBs trying to rob you of the Freq. They can't complain about it, THEY are the one's trying to HIJACK U! QRM IS KING on Field Day! Last year I found another situation that DID make me QSY from my held freq. A RB came on saying I was QRMing the Maritime Mobile net. He said he was a NET control and ORDERED me off the frequency! It turned out he had NOTHING to do with the net, and wasn't even using a legal callsign!!! He was just some Jammer who wanted to disrupt Field Day. I Didn't know that and complied by moving down, where he followed me (9 KC's away from the NET!!!) and he continued to JAM me. I decided it was time for a break and let another club member take over the rig for awhile as I got up to socialize with others.

So, DON'T YIELD the frequency to a RB HIJACKER!!!! Just crank up the POWER and PROCESSOR and DRIVE HIM off YOUR FREQUENCY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post
    I found that all the time on Field Day, the primary contest I operate. I am holding a frequency and some RB tries to Hijack it. Well, I just call CQFD right over him, until he gives up and looks for another freq. If one has a shrimpy signal, U can't expect to hold the freq. Field Day is NOT for the timid or polite. IT is a JUNGLE out there, or a Barroom Brawl. The ONLY way to hold the frequency is to be as IMPOLITE as the RBs trying to rob you of the Freq. They can't complain about it, THEY are the one's trying to HIJACK U! QRM IS KING on Field Day! Last year I found another situation that DID make me QSY from my held freq. A RB came on saying I was QRMing the Maritime Mobile net. He said he was a NET control and ORDERED me off the frequency! It turned out he had NOTHING to do with the net, and wasn't even using a legal callsign!!! He was just some Jammer who wanted to disrupt Field Day. I Didn't know that and complied by moving down, where he followed me (9 KC's away from the NET!!!) and he continued to JAM me. I decided it was time for a break and let another club member take over the rig for awhile as I got up to socialize with others.

So, DON'T YIELD the frequency to a RB HIJACKER!!!! Just crank up the POWER and PROCESSOR and DRIVE HIM off YOUR FREQUENCY!!!!
    Just curious, Pat. If I recall correctly, a while ago you advocated planting a weapon on an otherwise unarmed person, to again IIRC, justify shooting them. Did I get that wrong?
    I can understand how you might be ignorant of California laws pertaining to that. I certainly am, although personaly, I find the idea of that ( planting a weapon) morally repugnant.

But how do you explain advocating willful violation of FCC 97.101(d)? Ignorance of the regulation or for reasons I am sure you are willing to share, they just don't apply to you?

Inquisitive minds, and all that......................feel free to expound.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8