ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Multiband Vertical

I am very interested in building this multi band vertical as printed in ARRL's
    “Simple and Fun Antennas” titled "WA5ABR's Homebrew Seven Band Vertical.

It is a multiband vertical with parallel feed (only one coax feeding all elements), using aluminum elements and plexiglass to "support" and seperate the seperate vertical elements.
    I own a 259 Antenna Analyzer.

If you have not built this, what do you think of it?
    H
    Has anyone built this antenna? If so:
    1. Are you still using yours?

2. Any problems with interactions between the vertical elements?

3. I was also considering using two or more separate feedlines, I have
    read where this would reduce interactions.

4. Mainly I am interested in 40, 20. 15 and 10. For 40, I would either
    have 25 ft vertical and capacitive top loading (prob about 4 ft diameter top
    hat) OR use a full sized vertical element.

5. I am also considering adding 75 by using somewhere between 25 and 35 ft
    vertical and the rest of the 75 meter wire horizontal (inverted L).

7. How about adding a vertical element for 6 meters?

I am an older ham who is trying to get back up on the air. The city I live
    in, Aurora, CO, does not have any inspections or requirements for antennas 25 ft
    and under. For anything over that, a Colorado certified Engineer must sign off
    on antenna plans, and 35 ft high is the max.

I also own a cabin in the CO mtns and need an antenna there. Restrictions
    there are much easier but there is still a county limit of 35 ft. I have a
    neighbor up there who has all ready sent me a nastygram Email and I don’t even
    have anything up at cabin yet. I have an HOA there but no antenna
    restrictions. I have a thread on both QRZ’s Antenna and Eham’s forums on
    this.

Thanks Ray WB4CMB

Quote Originally Posted by WB4CMB View Post
    I am very interested in building this multi band vertical as printed in ARRL's
    “Simple and Fun Antennas” titled "WA5ABR's Homebrew Seven Band Vertical.

It is a multiband vertical with parallel feed (only one coax feeding all elements), using aluminum elements and plexiglass to "support" and seperate the seperate vertical elements.
    I own a 259 Antenna Analyzer.

If you have not built this, what do you think of it?
    H
    Has anyone built this antenna? If so:
    1. Are you still using yours?

2. Any problems with interactions between the vertical elements?

3. I was also considering using two or more separate feedlines, I have
    read where this would reduce interactions.

4. Mainly I am interested in 40, 20. 15 and 10. For 40, I would either
    have 25 ft vertical and capacitive top loading (prob about 4 ft diameter top
    hat) OR use a full sized vertical element.

5. I am also considering adding 75 by using somewhere between 25 and 35 ft
    vertical and the rest of the 75 meter wire horizontal (inverted L).

7. How about adding a vertical element for 6 meters?

I am an older ham who is trying to get back up on the air. The city I live
    in, Aurora, CO, does not have any inspections or requirements for antennas 25 ft
    and under. For anything over that, a Colorado certified Engineer must sign off
    on antenna plans, and 35 ft high is the max.

I also own a cabin in the CO mtns and need an antenna there. Restrictions
    there are much easier but there is still a county limit of 35 ft. I have a
    neighbor up there who has all ready sent me a nastygram Email and I don’t even
    have anything up at cabin yet. I have an HOA there but no antenna
    restrictions. I have a thread on both QRZ’s Antenna and Eham’s forums on
    this.

Thanks Ray WB4CMB
    It's similar in principle to the fan dipole...but half of it. Just be aware there WILL be interaction between elements so be sure to build it PRECISELY according the the text's dimensions.....the author obviously spent a LOT of time figuring it out....so don't reinvent the wheel!

Eric
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

I agree with Eric. Don't use multiple feedlines, as the author of the article went through the experimentation to find what works with just one, and adding more would likely create the need to re-design the whole system.

If you add a horizontal wire to make the 40 radiator resonant on 75m, that will make the 40m radiator much too long and may create such a major mismatch on 40 that it won't even work there. However, adding a short 6m element to the mix is likely to do no harm.

Frankly, I'd just buy something like a Hy-Gain AV-640 for this. It covers 40-6m and does a reasonable job (but it doesn't cover 75/80m), and meets your other requirements. For what it would cost me to homebrew the design in question, I could probably buy the Hy-Gain.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

I did not intend to just simply extend the 40 meter element to use on 75, knew that would not work. Maybe could use a 40 meter trap. (Would reduce bandwidth somewhat)
    I was planning on adding an extra vertical element (since I did not plan on using all the elements for all the bands, there would be room)and then attaching a wire to make the inverted L.
    On further thought, I would probably be better off doing a seperate 75m antenna. Even then, it would prob react a lot. But I need 75 and my back yard/lot is very small. I was hoping to get a much larger bandwidth for 75 than fm most commercial antennas, maybe a larger bandwidth on other bands too
    Plus I need to "play" with my 259, LOL. Seriously with all the changes I mentioned, I might have a "goat rope" on my hands.
    Thanks Ray

Basically... hair splitting "precision" doesn't matter when you are working HF.

A 43 foot multi-band vertical will blast out a nice signal out on all the HF bands.

I know you want it to be more technically complicated than that, but yet, it really isn't.
    73 de Charles - KC8VWM
    North American QRP CW Club #3159, SKCC# 5752

Two problems with a 43 ft vertical. One, it isn't permitted either at home QTH or cabin. Two, it would require a tuner.
    If I ever did go that route (also could use a 31 ft vertical) I would use an automatic tuner at the antenna input terminals.
    I've also read that some of the higher HF bands lose low angle radiation with 43 or 31 ft verticals/tuner.

Thanks for replies! Ray

I'd just get a Butternut HF6 verical it works 80-10, Mine has been up for 20 years.
    73 Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WB4CMB View Post
    Two problems with a 43 ft vertical. One, it isn't permitted either at home QTH or cabin. Two, it would require a tuner.
    If I ever did go that route (also could use a 31 ft vertical) I would use an automatic tuner at the antenna input terminals.
    I've also read that some of the higher HF bands lose low angle radiation with 43 or 31 ft verticals/tuner.

Thanks for replies! Ray
    "ANY" vertical on 15m and up is usually an NVIS anyway, they do not have a low takeoff angle to begin with unless you use a very short one. Then you will give up the lower bands there is no free ride.

My Hy Gain Hy Tower AV-18HT works FB and does work DX on the high bands but some days you can work DX with a wet noodle. It is not great for them at all and it is the best out there for a vertical.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado