ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters

Default JT9-1

Greetings,
    I am new to JT9 and have a few questions. After downloading the program Windows WSJT-X (v0.5, r2791) from http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html and setting up the program as described in the user guide, I have been able to decode a few QSO's, although I haven't found alot of signals to decode, yet. Today was the first attempt to "listen in" and only received a few stations on 14.078 USB (digital) on my Icom 746PRO. First question, of the few signals that I decoded the db was showing a positive(+) signal report. I did call CQ and a station in OR reported me as -08, but on my screen he decoded as +10. Do I have something not set right? I thought he should report as a negative(-) also, like in JT65. I have my slide set to a 25db noise level like instructed to do in the guide, and the RX on the SignaLink down to almost 0, and the stream(s) on the waterfall are showing bright red while the RX noise on the bottom of the screen is showing around 25.0 +/-. Second question ... Is the "TX first" box to be checked or unchecked, and what is it's function? Forgive me, for I am new to JT9 but am eager to learn. Third question ... I have seem many variables while researching this one ... how much TX power. Today I ran between 5-10 watts. To little, to much, or just about right? Fourth and final question ... just what are the correct frequencies to find JT9 signals? From what I was able to find so far, 2khz up from the common JT65 frequencies.

Loon - W3MAT

Quote Originally Posted by W3MAT View Post
    Greetings,
    I am new to JT9 and have a few questions. After downloading the program Windows WSJT-X (v0.5, r2791) from http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html and setting up the program as described in the user guide, I have been able to decode a few QSO's, although I haven't found alot of signals to decode, yet. Today was the first attempt to "listen in" and only received a few stations on 14.078 USB (digital) on my Icom 746PRO. First question, of the few signals that I decoded the db was showing a positive(+) signal report. I did call CQ and a station in OR reported me as -08, but on my screen he decoded as +10. Do I have something not set right? I thought he should report as a negative(-) also, like in JT65. I have my slide set to a 25db noise level like instructed to do in the guide, and the RX on the SignaLink down to almost 0, and the stream(s) on the waterfall are showing bright red while the RX noise on the bottom of the screen is showing around 25.0 +/-. Second question ... Is the "TX first" box to be checked or unchecked, and what is it's function? Forgive me, for I am new to JT9 but am eager to learn. Third question ... I have seem many variables while researching this one ... how much TX power. Today I ran between 5-10 watts. To little, to much, or just about right? Fourth and final question ... just what are the correct frequencies to find JT9 signals? From what I was able to find so far, 2khz up from the common JT65 frequencies.

Loon - W3MAT
    May I recommend 27 MHZ.
    Bryan, AC4BB
    Scio me nihil Scire: Socrates
    Psm:109:8

"
    [h=1]A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way?[/h]Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by AC4BB View Post
    May I recommend 27 MHZ.
    A very odd comment from Bryan...

To answer the OP questions, do not worry much about the disparity in rx versus tx reports. It depends a great deal on local noise levels, antenna systems and equipment. Tx first box determines whether you are sending on odd or even minutes. As for power level, it depends. I usually run about 15 watts and the seems to suffice. Most on HF seem to run between 1 and 30 watts depending on conditions and band. For JT9, 2 kHz up from the "normal" JT65A frequencies seem to be most common.

GL Loon,

Bill N9DSJ

Thanks for your response Bill. It took a few days to catch onto JT65, but now it is second nature. In fact, I operated a little PSK31 a few days ago and it was like starting all over again, but after a QSO or two it all came back. I really enjoy learning new digital modes and JT9 seems like it will be a lot of fun. Although it is very similar to JT65, still a few questions arise. I thank you for taking your time to answer my questions, you certainly have been helpful. There doesn't seem to be the amount of activity on JT9 as there is on JT65 (somedays it's very difficult to find a spot on 20M). I only need 13 states for WAS on JT65 and I've only been operating there since this past November, so seeking WAS on JT9 may prove to be a bit of a challenge. But then again, I still need four states for PSK WAS, something I thought I would have completed a long time ago, I still need AK, HI, VT, and WV. Thanks again Bill, I hope to find you on the bands. 73

Loon
    W3MAT

Quote Originally Posted by W3MAT View Post
    Thanks for your response Bill. It took a few days to catch onto JT65, but now it is second nature. In fact, I operated a little PSK31 a few days ago and it was like starting all over again, but after a QSO or two it all came back. I really enjoy learning new digital modes and JT9 seems like it will be a lot of fun. Although it is very similar to JT65, still a few questions arise. I thank you for taking your time to answer my questions, you certainly have been helpful. There doesn't seem to be the amount of activity on JT9 as there is on JT65 (somedays it's very difficult to find a spot on 20M). I only need 13 states for WAS on JT65 and I've only been operating there since this past November, so seeking WAS on JT9 may prove to be a bit of a challenge. But then again, I still need four states for PSK WAS, something I thought I would have completed a long time ago, I still need AK, HI, VT, and WV. Thanks again Bill, I hope to find you on the bands. 73

Loon
    W3MAT
    My pleasure, Loon.

The WSJT suite is not overly intuitive to use but it is fairly consistent in operation from mode to mode. JT65-HF was designed specifically to be simple to operate for JT65A mode on HF freqs.

There is not a great deal of JT9-1 activity around but check the URL below for activity:

http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index...d=digitalradio

Bill N9DSJ

Quote Originally Posted by N9DSJ View Post
    A very odd comment from Bryan...

To answer the OP questions, do not worry much about the disparity in rx versus tx reports. It depends a great deal on local noise levels, antenna systems and equipment. Tx first box determines whether you are sending on odd or even minutes. As for power level, it depends. I usually run about 15 watts and the seems to suffice. Most on HF seem to run between 1 and 30 watts depending on conditions and band. For JT9, 2 kHz up from the "normal" JT65A frequencies seem to be most common.

GL Loon,

Bill N9DSJ
    Not at all. Just having met a few JT operators they're for the most part a rude and obnoxious bunch. They would be a perfect fit on 27 MHZ.
    Bryan, AC4BB

"
    [h=1]A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way?[/h]Mark Twain.

Sorry to hear that; can say the same for PSK31, SSB, AM, FM, CW, SSTV, RTTY, Pactor, ...endless list. You have "met" a few "JT mode operators" yet you discern all should go to 11 meters?
    I suspect you had one incident on 80 meters, much whined about, and you are in transference mode.
    It is not the modes that matter, it is the operators.
    All modes have problem children and no need to take that out on a gentleman that was asking an honest question in regard to JT9-1.

Bill N9DSJ

No, it's when your sending a CQ and you see the JT signal slowly creep right on top of you and then someone gives you the business about moving and swearing you came right on top of them is what I'm talking about.
    Bryan, AC4BB

"

Loon..

Keep checking JT9 for contacts as it goes in spurts. I've worked 26 states and have only been at it since the middle of December.
    Look for two of your states needed: AK and VT as they have been on.

Depending on antennas, one station may receive a stronger signal than the other, i.e., a wire vs a beam plus the power output of each station. All basic stuff but usually with modes like JT9 most are using 5 watts or less so more varibles.

The "TX" box let's you tell a station (such as on the K3UK forum site) that you're going transmit at, perhaps, 1300hz first..that way he knows not to transmit at the same time or you won't see each other. So you can check it or uncheck it depending. If you're sending a CQ then it doesn't matter as the other station will sync in automatically.

The JT9 frequencies are not set in stone but the main consistant frequencies seem to be: 10130,14078,18104,21078,24918 and 28078. Most are agreeing on two above the JT65 frequencies but, as you can see, not always the case. Other frequencies used are: 1839,3581, 7073 and 7039.

JT9 is a fun mode. Working EU from the west coast on 5 watts or less is fun...and just seeing who is going to pop up on the waterfall is always interesting. It will get more popular as more hams discover it.

I hope this helps..

Randy
    W6NT

Loon+ group

As Randy pointed out- "Tx first" box is checked if you are going to (or have agreed to for a sked) TX on the even number minutes regarding accurate zulu time.. For example:
    After "Auto is Enabled" is checked (this box will turn red), your program will automatically transmit at 1800z, 1802z, 1804z etc
    During these "even" number TX sequences, the other station is receiving.

A JT9-1 transmission sequence last for 50 seconds. If you watch the program's clock you will see that your TX time will actually be: 1800z 0-50secs.
    At 1801z you will be receiving, and at 1801:53 secs the blue decode bar will flash.. If program confidence is high enough, you will see decoded info.

Also, in the Decode pull down menu, try "deepest (decode)" if are unable to see any decodes under normal condx.

--fyi, I'm on K3UK's site during the week after 0300z..

73 Eric n6spp_anchorage
    (WSJT'ing since 2001)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast