ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters

Default how to test pf of a Variable Capacitor

hi all im doing an antenna project,

and having a few probs , i would like to test a Variable air Capacitor this is ment to be rated at well 1 to 500pf what i was told when it was sold to me . i have got a pf meter now , is there any way i can test it,

my Variable Capacitor looks same as this but with 22 segment,s
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...8B567EC081B67F

see im only getting 2 bands, i do have many other people helping me in the antenna part but as this wasnt realy antenna , i wonted to try here , hope all you guys understand, thanks for any info and help best regards, andy

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Connect the ground test lead to the most massive part of the cap, usually the stator. Put the + test lead
    near but not touching the rotor connection.
    Measure this lead capacity.
    Connect the + lead to the rotor, measure again.
    Subtract the lead capacity reading.
    Do the above for the cap rotated to both ends of it's travel.

Some cap meters have a zeroing adjust that you can use to cancel the test lead capacity.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

"1 to 500 pF" with a capacitor of that design seems very improbable.

The "500 pF" part sounds plausible, but the "1 pF" part doesn't. Most air variable caps looking like that and having a max capacitance of 500 pF would have a "min" of about 15-20 pF (possibly a bit more).
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

I saw that too but figured it was a typo.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    "1 to 500 pF" with a capacitor of that design seems very improbable.

The "500 pF" part sounds plausible, but the "1 pF" part doesn't. Most air variable caps looking like that and having a max capacitance of 500 pF would have a "min" of about 15-20 pF (possibly a bit more).

Forgot to say bought on ebay.

A good cap meter that will work in the pf range would be in order, and keep the leads short.

A grid or gate dipper is good also, but requires math.

What bands are you shooting for ?
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Quote Originally Posted by KA9JLM View Post
    Forgot to say bought on ebay.

A good cap meter that will work in the pf range would be in order, and keep the leads short.

A grid or gate dipper is good also, but requires math.

What bands are you shooting for ?
    hi and thanks to all you guys that replyed, well it all started out just making a mag loop antenna, i used 22mm copper tube with 6 side, the loop is 3ft 2 inch across , i got this Variable air Capacitor from ebay , one of my fav shops haha, the add said , 0-500pf and i know this wasnt to be true aswell, but it was wide space sooooooo i got it hoping it would do the job, ,, 40m is the main band and it does rez there, but you know with all this reading on loops i should get hummmm 4 bands. i do peak on 7mhz and 10mhz. thats it, was hoping for 14mhz band at least more, but with in antenna and feeder in qrz i dont wont to go to much on that here as its in the wrong place but , mainly was sent away to do tests and to try and work out why my loop not working, well i dont think it is, i can seem to tune on 7mhz in too places of the Variable air Capacitor not sure if this is odd, i just tryed what k8erv said , im not getting a reading near it but on it my meter is set to 2000pf and im getting around 1200 but im not sure if im doing this right, it doesnt stay on 1200 it jumps around 1150 1200 1250 give or take, this Variable air Capacitor could well be the wrong type, just saying aswell , once tuned on 40m compair with my vertical this loop is very hissy, anyway , i feel a cuppa tea coming on , so have a nice evening to all, andy

Jumping may be a bad meter, have you tried it on a fixed cap?

Yes, I would not expect the lead cap to read on that setting. But you may need a more
    sensitive range to measure the minimum. The lead cap may not be important for your use.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by K8ERV View Post
    Jumping may be a bad meter, have you tried it on a fixed cap?

Yes, I would not expect the lead cap to read on that setting. But you may need a more
    sensitive range to measure the minimum. The lead cap may not be important for your use.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
    on a fix cap it not jumping my meter wasnt lot of money i do agree , this is the make of the meter honeytek a6013L think its a china one but i did get it from the uk ,

Quote Originally Posted by 2E0OKC View Post
    ... it doesnt stay on 1200 it jumps around 1150 1200 1250 give or take...
    That jumping around is a common situation when the brushes that contact the rotor at either end get dry, corroded, dirty.

Applying a small amount of Deoxit but without spraying it into the variable capacitor, but spraying a wee amount of the good juice into something like the aerosol cap first, then using a toothpick to dab very small amound on the brush, maybe repeating a few times to get enough of the liquid only on that brush to rotor contact space and not on any plates, then rotate the capacitor full travel ten to twenty times while still wetted to mechanically clean things should establish good electrical contact again.

Then try running your test with the capacitance meter again.

It likely is not a problem with the meter, the capacitor is exhibiting the same problem both on the antenna and on the meter.

If you are using a DMM that can measure pfd then make the test leads as short as possible. Having leads just long enough to reach from the DMM to the capacitor. No more then 3 maybe 4 inches and the connections should not be in contact with anything else including your fingers. Again, this type of measurement will not tell you the ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) of the capacitor. The ESR will tell you the quality of the capacitor.
    According to my calculations a 3.2 foot diameter loop can tune from 60 meters to 10 meters with a 3 pfd to 350 pfd variable capacitor. Getting a capacitor to cover that range would be very difficult and even a vacuum variable would have difficulty covering that range.
    The use of the capacitor you have will make a magnetic loop efficiency a gamble. You can make a homebrew capacitor that would work so much better then the one you have.
    As a test you can use a length of coax as a set value capacitor for your loop. Pick a frequency on 20 meters and get the capacitance value you need to operate there. Hint: about 40 pfd will work.
    Here's the information for this test; http://www.standpipe.com/w2bri/assemblecoaxialcap.htm.
    The coax isn't really that high in Q but it's better then most of the ordinary variable capacitors you can get.
    Hope this helps
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast