Callsign
ad: cq2k-1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Century Link DSL or Hughes Net Gen 4 ??

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters

Default Century Link DSL or Hughes Net Gen 4 ??

I am very happy with my current internet service, Time Warner, although in my experience, they have horrible customer service and not very appealing prices, yet their internet service has been both fast and reliable for the past four years or so.

But in the next four-to-six weeks I expect to relocate and the only options available would seem to be Century Link DSL at "up to" 10 Mbps or Hughes Net Gen 4 at "up to" 10-15 Mbps ( depending on whether I want to pay one arm or one arm plus a leg ). Apparently the Hughes Net also has a data limit. Wild Blue would be another option but that would also have data limits and would be even more costly.

From what I can see, neither would be very reliable but Century Link would be cheaper and not have a data limit. I used to have the old Hughes Net and it was extremely unreliable and the average download speed was not much better than dial-up, and I had to use dial-up fairly often because the Hughes Net modem would go on the fritz.

( I am giving up good internet service in order to say goodbye to antenna restrictions. The new place has over 10 acres but is much more rural than the gated HOA community where I currently live. )

I download a lot of stuff ( websites, software, audio files ) but I do not stream videos.

Does anyone here have any recent experience with either Century Link DSL or Hughes Net and care to recommend one over the other?
    Last edited by N4UP; 01-11-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    73, Peter, N4UP

there is nothing on earth (or in the sky) worse or more unreliable then hughes internet. unless you are so in the middle of BFE, that there is no other option, RUN AWAY. not only is their system unreliable, their "Fair Access Policy" is outrageous, and there is no real accounting for how much data you may really be using. suddenly, you will be running at speeds slower then dial up, with no warning, and other data usage monitors telling you that there is no way you have exceeded your daily "usage". then there are the calls to india, not the india with great engineers, but the india you see on "starving kids" commercials

i have converted essentially everyone i can to 4G or 3G "cellular data" using cradlepoint "modems". depending on where you are, there are a few providers with "unlimited data" such as virgin, even if you have to pay the $10 or so per G/B the reliability, and a far more reasonable access structure makes this almost a "no brainer". i am getting 30 M/B on my verizon 4G, and thats really COOKING, and even 1.5 M/B on the cellular one 3G is still fine for almost everything, even a little bit of skype. btw, wilson "repeaters", and other products make it pretty unlikely that there is not at least 3g data available.

HUGHES IS THE DEVIL

otherwise, i have no opinion

it just occured to me, the us congress has a satisfaction rating of 18%, below cockroaches, maggots, and dentists. google hughes-net, they make congress look like "miss congeniality"
    Last edited by WB7OXP; 01-11-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Bob on HamNation said he was happy with Exede satellite internet. That might be another alternative. There's only so many satellites up there so the core service might be the same as the others for all I know.

I think all the satellite providers have data caps. Actually, even "unlimited" plans on cable and DSL have limits in the fine print either explicitly stated or more vaguely "excessive use" sort of language.

For $49.95 Exede does 10GB per month 5am to midnight. Unlimited outside those hours. More daytime GB for more money.

My one piece of advice to anyone choosing an ISP is this. Don't use the ISP's email service. Use Gmail or something similar or your own domain so you're not locked in. All you really need from an ISP these days is the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by WB7OXP View Post
    there is nothing on earth (or in the sky) worse or more unreliable then hughes internet. unless you are so in the middle of BFE, that there is no other option, RUN AWAY. not only is their system unreliable, their "Fair Access Policy" is outrageous, and there is no real accounting for how much data you may really be using. suddenly, you will be running at speeds slower then dial up, with no warning, and other data usage monitors telling you that there is no way you have exceeded your daily "usage". then there are the calls to india, not the india with great engineers, but the india you see on "starving kids" commercials

i have converted essentially everyone i can to 4G or 3G "cellular data" using cradlepoint "modems". depending on where you are, there are a few providers with "unlimited data" such as virgin, even if you have to pay the $10 or so per G/B the reliability, and a far more reasonable access structure makes this almost a "no brainer". i am getting 30 M/B on my verizon 4G, and thats really COOKING, and even 1.5 M/B on the cellular one 3G is still fine for almost everything, even a little bit of skype. btw, wilson "repeaters", and other products make it pretty unlikely that there is not at least 3g data available.

HUGHES IS THE DEVIL

otherwise, i have no opinion

it just occured to me, the us congress has a satisfaction rating of 18%, below cockroaches, maggots, and dentists. google hughes-net, they make congress look like "miss congeniality"
    Well, your experience and opinion regarding Hughes Net is consistent with my own experience 4-7 years ago. I have now looked at both Verizon, AT&T, and Clearwire, and they all say there is no service in my intended location. I suppose the test would be to try my daughter's "smartphone" at the intended location and see what coverage/speed is actually there. Will do that on Sunday. I may also talk with some of my neighbors here who use Century Link DSL.

73, Peter, N4UP

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Interesting. I have Century Link (was Qwest) DSL, and while the fiber node is only 0.2 miles away, 256k (actually 225k) is the fastest DSL I can get. To go faster I have to go to a microwave link.

Wonder what the fastest copper DSL speed is?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by KT1F View Post
    Bob on HamNation said he was happy with Exede satellite internet. That might be another alternative. There's only so many satellites up there so the core service might be the same as the others for all I know.

I think all the satellite providers have data caps. Actually, even "unlimited" plans on cable and DSL have limits in the fine print either explicitly stated or more vaguely "excessive use" sort of language.

For $49.95 Exede does 10GB per month 5am to midnight. Unlimited outside those hours. More daytime GB for more money.

My one piece of advice to anyone choosing an ISP is this. Don't use the ISP's email service. Use Gmail or something similar or your own domain so you're not locked in. All you really need from an ISP these days is the pipe.
    I understand Excede is the same thing as Wild Blue, and it runs $129.99 a month for 12 Mbps service and 25 Gb of data. Hughes Net is cheaper, claims to be faster and have a higher data limit, but if it's not reliable, then their claims really don't matter. Maybe Wild Blue/Excede is more reliable and worth $129.99 a month ?? That's about two times what I am paying now for reliable cable internet at 20 Mbps.

Agree very much regarding email accounts. I have used erols.com for email since the mid-90s, even though they went out of business in the late 90s ( taken over by RCN, who graciously maintain the erols domain ).
    73, Peter, N4UP

Peter how much data do you use in a month?

Quote Originally Posted by N6OIL View Post
    Peter how much data do you use in a month?

I almost responded by saying I have no idea, then it occurred to me that my ISP might keep track, and they do ( thanks for the insight ).

So the answer is, 7 to 9 Gb per month, though every now and then I have used 1 Gb in a day, though I'm guessing that might be when my kids are here. I'm also guessing the ISP rounds the monthly numbers up to the nearest whole Gb.

That suggests that the satellite data limits would not be a problem, so it would be about speed, price, and reliability.
    73, Peter, N4UP

Quote Originally Posted by N4UP View Post
    I understand Excede is the same thing as Wild Blue, and it runs $129.99 a month for 12 Mbps service and 25 Gb of data. Hughes Net is cheaper, claims to be faster and have a higher data limit, but if it's not reliable, then their claims really don't matter. Maybe Wild Blue/Excede is more reliable and worth $129.99 a month ?? That's about two times what I am paying now for reliable cable internet at 20 Mbps.

Agree very much regarding email accounts. I have used erols.com for email since the mid-90s, even though they went out of business in the late 90s ( taken over by RCN, who graciously maintain the erols domain ).
    I live in BFE and have tried them all - all the way back to DirecWay one-way satellite service, HughesNet, StarBand, and then WildBlue. I love Wildblue! They have a monthly limit, not a daily limit like the old Hughesnet had. Two or three days a month, I needed to move some very large files for work. It was impossible with the daily limit. And Exede from Wildblue is smoking fast.

But last week I turned Wildblue OFF. Verizon finally upgraded the closest tower (7 miles away) to 4G! I bought a Wilson repeater and have 4G in my house. With my unlimited data plan I was grandfathered into, I am enjoying it so much. Hopefully, Verizon will not throttle back those of us granfathered into the old data plans.

After taxes, I was paying a little over $140 a month for Wildblue. If satellite is your only option, Wildblue was my favorite of any of them and customer service was great any time I needed it. I was barely ever down for anything except a big storm rolling through. And then it was only for minutes in most cases. It was actually more reliable than my mom's DSL at her house.

Guys one thing to watch out for if you have any kids or yourself that like to play on the Xbox or any other type games that rely on low latency rates satellite will not work. Peter you may not have to pay the $130 for ViaSat go for the lower monthly data cap, also Hughes Net still has the FAP limit which I think ViaSat does not. Problem with FAP is you do have a big download they will slow you down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast