ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl

I am starting to lean in that direction, though I have a hard time justifying spending 6k+ on a radio (FTDX5000MP +QS1-R, monitor etc.) Wish Yaesu had updated the 2000D with down conversion instead of coming out with a single receive 3000.

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post
    I would recommend just going ahead and buying the FT5K like I did. I most Certainly couldn't afford it. In fact, I couldn't afford a radio HALF it's price so I was seriously considering a FT2K HRO had on the table. But after thinking about it, there is this thing called BUYERS REMORSE, which means you will deeply regret not getting the VERY BEST rig money can buy. So I just bent over, and let my plastic cards be SERIOUSLY VIOLATED. Someday they will be paid off. But in the meantime, I have the very best rig money can buy and am not regretting the choice. Lotsa FT5Ks are being sold. LOTS! So it is really a toss up between the FT5K and the K3. The top contesters and DXers prefer the K3, but I just didn't (AND STILL DON'T) like the very plain and Spartan aestethics (or however that is spelled) of the rig. It has loads of hidden menus but the basic radio looks more like a Kenwood TS-570D and is very plain and unappealing. Meanwhile, the 5K is just MIND BLOWING and very Majestic. With all the whistles and bells added to the K3, they both work out to be about the same price. The 5K is very formidable and difficult to manuever but after awhile one can figure it out and run it just fine. Just takes alotta messing with. Then it is a Wonderful rig!

So, go ahead and forget about how much it costs. Think about how Serious you are about Ham radio and whether having the VERY BEST is worth it, or if U can get by with something lesser. If I had to deal with lesser, I would lean towards the 3K or the 2K, but still not a K3. K3s are great, but just not as PRETTY!

2. Default

I like the Icom 7410. I upgraded from a Pro III a year ago and am very happy. 2 meters is next to useless around here now, and I have a bunch of radios for that anyway so not having that band on the radio is a moot point.

I also use a Kenwood 480SAT, and while nice, it is no match for the 7410. At about $1,800 I think it is the best value out there.

Just me, but I detest the Yeast Infection (Yeasu) radios. Have had two, both with problems so I won't go there again.

fwiw 73, Bill

You can buy almost any decent radio on the market today that meets your needs but you may find that interfacing it with Ham Radio Deluxe will get you away from the ever popular menus that many radios use today.
    Many sub menus on the radios can be placed on the HRD display for easy access by just clicking your mouse on them and sliding to what you want. I can control my filtering, notch, shift, frequency and power out and many other things via HRD and the program is free and does logging to if you want to do that. I have a Yaesu FT-950 but many of the modern radios have the same features and can do the same thing via HRD.
    Also of note, I like band scopes but I would rather keep the radio simple and I use the band scope on the HRD program to scan for stations. I have talked to some hams that had had the fancy displays on higher end radios and had them go out on them and they are expensive to replace.
    I did not like computers with ham radio either other than logging or looking up a callsign but try looking at HRD on Youtube and I think you may well like it.
    As far as power goes most radios are 100 watts. To me any gain you are going to get from the 200 watt radios is a waste of time (and money) considering you can pick up a pretty nice amp like the AL-80 used which will give you adequate power for your needs in most cases.
    You also don't say what kind of an antenna you are using or considering. Remember that a good antenna system can be a real asset to the station.
    Good luck with your choices and your upgrade.
    Last edited by W7KKK; 01-10-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    US Army Radio Operator/instructor 1966-72
    MOS 05B/O5B4H

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your thoughts. I will check out HRD on youtube. I am running several antennas, 5 element and 3 element 6m, 4 element 10m, Imax 2000 @ 40', VP22 on 6m @ 58'. Also 20, 40 & 80m wires. Beams are at 45-55'. Running LMR400 on all. I hope I don't regret it, but I just got off the phone from ordering a new Yaesu FTDX5000D. Will be my first brand new radio, I have always bought used. Some very used (40 years old). Should be a step up from the Swan ss200-a that is in my #1 spot right now.

Quote Originally Posted by W7KKK View Post
    You can buy almost any decent radio on the market today that meets your needs but you may find that interfacing it with Ham Radio Deluxe will get you away from the ever popular menus that many radios use today.
    Many sub menus on the radios can be placed on the HRD display for easy access by just clicking your mouse on them and sliding to what you want. I can control my filtering, notch, shift, frequency and power out and many other things via HRD and the program is free and does logging to if you want to do that. I have a Yaesu FT-950 but many of the modern radios have the same features and can do the same thing via HRD.
    Also of note, I like band scopes but I would rather keep the radio simple and I use the band scope on the HRD program to scan for stations. I have talked to some hams that had had the fancy displays on higher end radios and had them go out on them and they are expensive to replace.
    I did not like computers with ham radio either other than logging or looking up a callsign but try looking at HRD on Youtube and I think you may well like it.
    As far as power goes most radios are 100 watts. To me any gain you are going to get from the 200 watt radios is a waste of time (and money) considering you can pick up a pretty nice amp like the AL-80 used which will give you adequate power for your needs in most cases.
    You also don't say what kind of an antenna you are using or considering. Remember that a good antenna system can be a real asset to the station.
    Good luck with your choices and your upgrade.

When I was first licensed I could have easily spent 5 or 6K on a new rig. But one night, just prior to a local club meeting, I stopped to pick up another ham and we spent a little time in his shack. He had a megabucks rig in his shack and right beside it an old IC-751. I was very curious to see just how quickly and completely the old 751 would be blown away in side by side comparisons.

Let's just say that any chance of my spending 5K or more on a rig evaporated that night.

Roughly a week later I picked up my first ham rig on ebay: an IC-735, which I still frequently use to this day. It set me back about $275 as I recall. Worth every penny!

Quote Originally Posted by KC2SIZ View Post
    When I was first licensed I could have easily spent 5 or 6K on a new rig. But one night, just prior to a local club meeting, I stopped to pick up another ham and we spent a little time in his shack. He had a megabucks rig in his shack and right beside it an old IC-751. I was very curious to see just how quickly and completely the old 751 would be blown away in side by side comparisons.

Let's just say that any chance of my spending 5K or more on a rig evaporated that night.

Roughly a week later I picked up my first ham rig on ebay: an IC-735, which I still frequently use to this day. It set me back about $275 as I recall. Worth every penny!
    You have to remember that at the time the 751 was built, it was the top of the line ICOM. I had one for a very long time, and I didn't enjoy parting with it. A friend of mine has two of them - the 751A models, and we did a head to head comparison with my IC-746 and IC-7000 a couple years ago. The 751 did very well against both of the newer rigs, but the DSP in the IC7K did win. I don't remember what the other top rigs were, but when I bought the IC751, I went to HRO and compared the top rigs side by side - and the 751 easily won in my opinion.

There are many older radios out there that are actually still top performers. I'd never turn up my nose at a Drake, circa 1980.

Still, I don't think I've ever had a radio as 'productive' as my Ten Tec Omni VI+.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3