I did some more checking and the school the kids attend now, which I thought was an 8, is rated at a 3. Not that much different then a 2 and the school rated at a 2 has shown improvement. I can't see how they could do anything but improve. A lot of the schools in this city are just not cutting it. I don't care what the administrators or the school board have to say. They are doing poorly and it's the kids that suffer. A lot of the problems the schools have is getting the communications skills in the students. Then they can understand what is being taught and why. The kids are sent home with homework and their parents leave them to flounder in completing the assignments. Why? The parents of most of these kids have no way to communicate with the kids or to understand the concepts being presented to their children. They can't help their own children. The result is instead of spending time in the classes learning the stuff the homework emphasized they now have to do the homework in the class. Everybody is dragged down by this problem.
Solution, have a special class at the end of school that has volunteers or interns in a sort of study hall thing where they get that added boast of information they need to complete their homework. The kids that have help at home and are getting the assignments completed can go home to their family where they will continue to have their parents assist them. Instead of dragging everybody else down with them these students will move ahead with the other students.
Cost is the added time for transportation and the use of a vacant classroom. The volunteers or interns would have to answer the questions the student are asking instead of those really unintelligent study hall periods I had in high school where there was no help at all. Just a "teacher" walking around making sure you weren't just drawing pictures. That was no help, absolutely none and to me it rated right up there with stupid.
How to get qualified help is easy. You take a college student that is studying the subject as a major. It's obvious these individuals made it through the simple stuff in grade school and now they can perhaps intern with the younger students. One room would have READING, another MATH and so on. Each study room will have an able intern that will also learn if they are going to be good at what they do or if they need to take a separate path.
Internships are required in almost all college level courses. This is a knowledge base that hasn't been tapped in a constructive manner and we can get them to do it for free. They even pay their own transportation to the study room at the nearby elementary school. It is, after all, a requirement of the course for the college students.
Now, I know this is idealistic in many ways but at least it's a thought. The schools would insist there be a qualified teacher present to make sure the intern doesn't deviate from the lesson plan. The parents would want these interns background checked around their children. The parents haven't got a clue how to help their children but they'll be damned if they'll allow some snot nosed kid around their children without some safe guards. Then there's the question of what the unions will do and I can guarantee they will be less than receptive. So, you see an idealistic plan can have way too many holes to be workable. We have got to try something though.
Maybe someday.
Gary