ad: l-Waters
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper

Default N7DPP - Don Pinson Scammer

I answered an ad that Don Pinson posted to trade for his FT-817ND. I offered him my IC-703 Plus. He agreed to the trade. Well, then things started to call apart. I sent my IC-703 Plus via UPS insured with the usual tracking info. He received the radio. He said that he had sent the FT-817ND via USPS with delivery confirmation. I have never received the radio. To make matters worse he sold or traded my radio to someone. He sent me the USPS confirmation info - he refuses to file for an insurance claim. It looks like I am out an IC-703 Plus.

I would warn anyone about this so-called ham. I would not under any circumstances deal with him. I did a Google search on his name and the second entry was about how Pinson scammed another ham. Be very careful.

This may be of interest to you.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/in...?topic=84093.0
    http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/in...?topic=86817.0

Another sad day in ham radio. My Grandfather would be very disappointed with this new era of "hams".

What happens when you enter the USPS confirmation info. Does it come up blank? If so he never sent the package. It is easy to get a USPS
    confirmation number. If you have the emails showing the agreed upon transactions and receipt that he got your radio I'd file a complaint at
    the post office. Explain what happened maybe they can help. This type of crime is a felony.

When I do trades I make sure I write down all my serial numbers from my equipment. If the trade goes bad I report the items stolen and give
    the name of the person who I sent the items too. I contact their local law enforcement office.

Quote Originally Posted by K6VH View Post
    What happens when you enter the USPS confirmation info. Does it come up blank? If so he never sent the package. It is easy to get a USPS
    confirmation number. If you have the emails showing the agreed upon transactions and receipt that he got your radio I'd file a complaint at
    the post office. Explain what happened maybe they can help. This type of crime is a felony.

When I do trades I make sure I write down all my serial numbers from my equipment. If the trade goes bad I report the items stolen and give
    the name of the person who I sent the items too. I contact their local law enforcement office.
    Robin. Good advice here. You're close to Atlanta & I would advise you to contact the "Postal Inspection Service" (any "branch" should be able to give you the telephone number). As mentioned, "felony". Postal Inspectors frown on "MAIL FRAUD". Good luck. 73 de W5BIB (retired USPS)

Don Pinson?? That guy was all over QTH feedback forum maybe two years ago. I remember reading about how he scammed a ham out of all kinds of radio gear. Seems like the same exact MO....Trade for gear and then he sells it without completing trade.

Wow...this guy is something else.
    Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
    Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
    Marco Island,Florida 34145
    25.95N 81.72W
    [url]www.KA2CDT.com[/url]

You should report to IC3 at http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Sorry about your loss.

He has been reported several times using the IC3, I thought he had stopped this and his way of clearing his name was to change callsign, I did help 7 others who were persuing him and managed to get the radio I purchased delivered but see where he sold the same radio and got $2300 from a friend of mine, that did annoy me
    Pat Ka1cde was one he took, Michael Lackey; and Javier both lost over $2000 each,
    Here is an example of how far it went last year
    "All

I have also included Larry in on this email. I see that everyone has filed their IC report. My internet crime report number is # l1201252307445012.

I suggest we alll throw our crime report numbers out there, and then go back into each of our reports and update the contact information, with references back to each of these as well and each individuals contact information.

Martyn, im not sure the sherrif is the one to talk to either. I seem to have gotten the run around there in calls I have made, but Don lives in an unincorporated area of Pierce County washington and falls under sheriff jurisdiction. I wonder if a detective can be contacted directly? I was transferred to a detectives voicemail and left a message with no return call.

The other options I am thinking about involve each of us assembing a full packet comprised if imaged copies of emails, correspondence, evidence, money order receipts, and a full summary along with a copy of our internet crime complaint. These packets can be copied and then mailed to multiple recipients as well. Included could be the contact information of each of us along with internet crime complaint numbers. These packets could also be mailed to the FCC to question the character of Don, and his priveledge to hold a license.

Also, I still think we should attempt a mass calling of dons local law enforcement.
    Martyn you have had experience with attorneys before, should we all contact his district attorney? Maybe his local ham clubs should be alerted as well. I will be talking to my local law enforcement this week as well. My neighbor his pretty high up in our local county police department. I wonder if one of us was actually to physically show up at the police department in dons town and explain the situation in person, and if were accompanied to dons house to retrieve the purchased items, or full refund and don did not comply, could charges be pressed on the spot for larceny?

Anyone else have suggestions? As long as we are banded together, we stand a greater chance of success.
    A little Brit Different

Well, the rabbit hole may be going deeper. I recently won a iPad 3 and since I already have one, decided to throw it on swap.qth.com and see what I could get for it. Don Pinson N7DPP emailed me back, and offered to trade a Yaesu FT-897 for it. Since I am in need of a HF rig, I checked on QRZ to make sure he was in fact a ham, extra class at that. I've had countless worry free transactions using this site and others when it comes to dealing with my other ham brethren. I sent the iPad out USPS insured, with tracking number. No problems. When I asked Don Pinson for my tracking number, it would not register in the USPS database. So, I decided to "google" "N7DPP" and that is when I started to get upset. My iPad arrived at his residence yesterday according to USPS, and I still have a "non recognized" tracking number.

I emailed him today telling him I will be taking legal action if I do not get my radio. If he fails to complete out agreement, this is fraud over STATE LINES, thus a FEDERAL issue. Looks like there are many others that have gone through the same thing, and I hope this will just pass over and I will get my radio, but if it does not, I will be taking him to court.

-Patrick, KC8UAV

Default biggest scamer on the net K4TEC sure you want to go there again ?

Quote Originally Posted by K4TEC View Post
    He has been reported several times using the IC3, I thought he had stopped this and his way of clearing his name was to change callsign, I did help 7 others who were persuing him and managed to get the radio I purchased delivered but see where he sold the same radio and got $2300 from a friend of mine, that did annoy me
    Pat Ka1cde was one he took, Michael Lackey; and Javier both lost over $2000 each,
    "All

I have also included Larry in on this email. I see that everyone has filed their IC report. My internet crime report number is # l1201252307445012.

I suggest we alll throw our crime report numbers out there, and then go back into each of our reports and update the contact information, with references back to each of these as well and each individuals contact information.

Martyn, im not sure the sherrif is the one to talk to either. I seem to have gotten the run around there in calls I have made, but Don lives in an unincorporated area of Pierce County washington and falls under sheriff jurisdiction. I wonder if a detective can be contacted directly? I was transferred to a detectives voicemail and left a message with no return call.

The other options I am thinking about involve each of us assembing a full packet comprised if imaged copies of emails, correspondence, evidence, money order receipts, and a full summary along with a copy of our internet crime complaint. These packets can be copied and then mailed to multiple recipients as well. Included could be the contact information of each of us along with internet crime complaint numbers. These packets could also be mailed to the FCC to question the character of Don, and his priveledge to hold a license.

Also, I still think we should attempt a mass calling of dons local law enforcement.
    Martyn you have had experience with attorneys before, should we all contact his district attorney? Maybe his local ham clubs should be alerted as well. I will be talking to my local law enforcement this week as well. My neighbor his pretty high up in our local county police department. I wonder if one of us was actually to physically show up at the police department in dons town and explain the situation in person, and if were accompanied to dons house to retrieve the purchased items, or full refund and don did not comply, could charges be pressed on the spot for larceny?

Anyone else have suggestions? As long as we are banded together, we stand a greater chance of success.
    martin has a lot of experiance with crime reports since he is in so many of them. Pot calling the kettle black here..just look at all the complaints on martin makes me look like a saint, I never screwed anyone but will not now or ever be held liable for the post office errors or losses. as for pat he will get his junk i mean ipad back supposed to be new, quit working less than a week after it was recieved and he refuses to provide insurance info of any kind on it just passing it off as there is no paperwork given from Apple on it

Quote Originally Posted by K4TEC View Post
    "All

I just reported him to IC3 as well.....just love scumbags like this reining it for everyone else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast