ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Default Power Line Adapters - Maplin Electronics

I've just bought a new soldering iron from Maplin Electronics.

With it came the usual short catalogue of products, which includes at page 11 a prominent advert for 'Networking over the mains'. This seems part of a wider campaign to push these products to customers, as there is now a leaflet available in their high street stores explaining how these things work.

Of course, Maplin's PLAs might be high quality, super-filtered versions that don't cause EMC problems to amateurs. But there are many out there which are not.

So it doesn't currently look that PLAs are being restricted by the RSGB's and other representative bodies' concerns. In fact, it looks like the market is being flooded by them. The last word from the RSGB on their web site is dated at the end of August 2012 - more than four months ago.

J.

I had an email exchange with Maplins some time back about the devices they sell. The replies contradicted themselves and the statement that their devices comply with the latest European directives was to say the least, intriguing. At the time of the email exchange there was no finalised standard for these devices,only draft proposals. Even with the notching you mention, these hellish devices will still cause havoc across huge swathes of the HF spectrum and beyond.
    Maybe you missed this: PLT-QRM-Our-hobby-under-attack
    73 de G4SKO Mark
    All we need is radio ga ga.

They don't care. The Yahoo UKQRM page has been complaining about these items for years and there isn't a body, Ofcom or the RSGB who are prepared to try and stop the sale of these things. They've been sending youtubes demonstrating the disturbance caused to radio amateur activity to magazines, RSGB,Ofcom, members of parliament, and it has had no effect. They're not interested.

Mel g0GQK

I'm beginning to think that too Mel. I've emailed and contacted MEPs, tried to raise awareness on various Forums and mentioned it on air, but the dollar speaks much louder than us mere end-users it seems.
    73 de G4SKO Mark
    All we need is radio ga ga.

Interesting replies. I've tried to raise all this through the political arena, too. Not even a reply to a member of the Welsh Assembly who is in turn a member of the ruling Conservative party. Speaks louder than a poorly-notched PLA, that.

Can't we do something more creative, like make March 1st 2013 the first 'International Smash a PLA and Post it to YouTube Day?' See who can come up with the most imaginative way to destroy a PLA. That's the kind of thing that gets attention these days, not gentlemanly bickering.

Guaranteed more effective than any sociopath on the airwaves!

73 Gerry.
    Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. Nikola Tesla 1856 - 1943