Callsign
ad: dxeng

Thread: Looking for Someone in ND, SD, MT or MN to Trouble Shoot Alpha 8410 Amplifier

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Default Looking for Someone in ND, SD, MT or MN to Trouble Shoot Alpha 8410 Amplifier

Title says it all............Really don't wanna ship it back to Alpha.

I will drive to you.

Sent an email to Burghardt Amateur Center in SD but I'm pretty sure they only work on radios now.

Tom KCW

Tom it's not that bad to ship back to Alpha, does the transformer need to go back also?
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

No, the transformer is fine.

I will see if I can scrounge any interest up here before I box it up & send it back to Alpha...........Have fingers and toes crossed regarding Burghardt but I think their answer will not be what I wanna hear.

Tom KCW

What is it doing? Lots of people on here who may be able to help without taking it anywhere.

I've worked on a few modern Alphas...every single one had problems with controller circuits (digital stuff), and no problems with the RF circuitry.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to make an amp so complicated!

I remember the old "all analog, no digital stuff" Alphas were nearly bulletproof. Biggest problems used to be Molex connector pins, which once found, could be fixed for about fifty cents.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Ya, pooped out during the Stew Perry 160 'test last weekend. Obviously the ghost of Stew lives on.

This is the first issue I have had with it since ordering it about 10 months ago. Have other HF amp's so time is really not an issue but would like it fixed anyway..........The ARRL RTTY roundup is this weekend & had planned on using the 77sx (aka: "coax melter" or "weak link locator") anyway.

Tom KCW

Quote Originally Posted by KC0W View Post
    Ya, pooped out during the Stew Perry 160 'test last weekend. Obviously the ghost of Stew lives on.

This is the first issue I have had with it since ordering it about 10 months ago. Have other HF amp's so time is really not an issue but would like it fixed anyway..........The ARRL RTTY roundup is this weekend & had planned on using the 77sx (aka: "coax melter" or "weak link locator") anyway.

Tom KCW
    What are the symptoms, Tom? These things have microprocessors in them and a lot of control circuitry, and the "problems" are almost always there.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Found someone in a neighboring state to take a look at it on Wednesday the 9th.............Guy seems to know his stuff, we shall see.

Life is pretty damn good if this is one of my biggest concerns right now.

Tom KCW

Tom KCW

I'm sure the dummy load is connected at the very far end of the coax cable when you find the weak links in the RF chain.
    Met on the level, left on the square.

Found someone in a neighboring state to take a look at it on Wednesday the 9th.............Guy seems to know his stuff, we shall see.

Life is pretty damn good if this is one of my biggest concerns right now.

Tom KCW
    You mean it's not!!!!!
    I can relate. I'm now looking at all the postings about how to avoid HOA and CC&R's. Just got a notice from my landlord. Got to move.
    Seemingly you have an alternate amplifier for your use on 160 meters. That's always outstanding.
    Hope you're right about the fellow you've located. Digital signals can be very tricky unless you have the right equipment and know how to use it. A logic analyzer of a multiple channel capability is very handy. Not meaning one of those pip-squeak probes that light up when they see a switching signal.
    The analog portion of the Alpha is not that overly complex. If it's there then it should be an easy and quick fix.
    Have fun Tom
    Gary