ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl

Default Baofeng UV- 5R models

Can anyone tell me the differences between the different models of the UV-5R 9 (UV-5RA, UV5RE, UV-5R+... ect). I just get my ticket and all the specs look the same to me.

Thanks,
    KC9YAR

Quote Originally Posted by KC9YAR View Post
    Can anyone tell me the differences between the different models of the UV-5R 9 (UV-5RA, UV5RE, UV-5R+... ect). I just get my ticket and all the specs look the same to me.

Thanks,
    KC9YAR
    The UV5R is the unit most of us are somewhat familiar with - they have been selling quite well.

I found a listing for the UV5RA at Universal Radio. The ad there says it uses different firmware and has a different case than the UV5R. It also uses different programming software. ImportCommunications.com (formerly wouxun.us) lists the UV5RC - with another different case. There is no mention of the difference in programming software here.

Otherwise, I see no difference in function between them. I recently ordered a UV5R because so many of my Tech class students are using them, I thought I should learn how to program one, too. It also uses the same programming hardware as my Wouxun units, and it should be supported by the CHIRP programming tool, that I use for most of my VHF/UHF radios because it supports them all, and I can migrate a repeater list from one radio to another fairly easily.

I have two Wouxun radios, and they work well. The Wouxun KGUV1D and 2D are essentially identical, and the UV3D is only slightly different. The UV6D, however, is designed to meet the new FCC narrowband specs and channel step sizes needed.

Our local dealer, Radio City in Blaine, MN, sells the Wouxun, Baofeng, and TYT radios, and offers a warranty and repair service on them. I see they are now selling the Wouxun dualband mobile radio, as well. The store's owner, Dan Fish, recently spoke at out radio club. My guess is that they could give you all the details on the differences in these rigs.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

I have a UV5R on order here to replace my 30 year old IC2A as the packet transceiver coupled to my 20 year old TNC 320. Not sure how to couple it up yet, but will work it out when the thing arrives. Ordered the programming cable and DC power cable too. Will report when I have a chance to set it up.

doug
    VK4RU

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the UV5RA as my first radio with programing cable and an after market antenna. I'll let you know my thoughts as a nubee to ham radio about this radio.

Ed
    KC9YAR

This is about the best information site I have seen for the varios UV5R models: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r
    Tom

KC9YAR, what antenna did you buy?

When you get your rig, could you report on the difference between the stock rubber duck (which works pretty well for me) and the antenna you got?

Quote Originally Posted by KF5SOQ View Post
    KC9YAR, what antenna did you buy?

When you get your rig, could you report on the difference between the stock rubber duck (which works pretty well for me) and the antenna you got?
    Hi, got one at Christmas, and happy so far. I read about the rubber duck and changed it to a Diamond RH 771 and there is a world of difference. Its a quarterwave on 2 Meters and a Halfwave on 70 CM. Would recommend an antenna upgrade. I opened up the rubber duck and basicly its a small coil/spring as you would expect which just cant compete.

73 Carl

I got my UV5R yesterday, and set it up today with CHIRP software. Be sure you have the latest 'daily build' version of the software. I used the programming cable for my Wouxun rigs.

Overall, it's a neat little radio. The receiver is not as good as the Wouxun, but the antenna is part of that issue. Still, if you are close to the repeater, it should work great.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Just got my UV-5Ra on Monday. Reception is pretty good the local repeater comes in very strong and clear. My first attempt to transmit to it was not succesfull. I then did the fix to open up the mic hole and connected from about 10 miles out. The problem seems to be that the mic hole is to small for the mic to pick up anything on some of these radios not the transmit power (check out the forums on this radio, I took mine apart to be safe when I drilled the hole larger). The antenna I ordered for it was a Nagoya NA-771

OK, I am reducing my Baofebg UV5R from a 4 to a 1. There has been a reported problem with the squelch popping continuously. I set my squelch to 9 and it still does it.

Too bad, it's a nice little HT, but pretty worthless if you intend to use it to monitor with.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast