ad: l-assoc
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl

I live just 775' from a newer general class that is just getting active and I am helping him learn a bit. But I know him and we can avoid problems so it's not a big deal to us.
    Neither of us run an amplifier so it's all less than 100 watt operations.
    US Army Radio Operator/instructor 1966-72
    MOS 05B/O5B4H

Quote Originally Posted by N4UP View Post
    Here's a related question ... how close would you want to be to an electrical substation? This one is about 1800 feet from a 15-acre property I am considering for my new QTH. The "pad" area in the aerial photograph is about 250 x 250 feet.

Attachment 119486

Just a note for you, I last lived in a rental (good news is that I moved) less than 1/3 of a mile from a sub station. When I moved in and got some wire in the air just over 4 years ago I had S7-9 level noise and could only drive the power lines in the area finding it everywhere.
    I called the power company and of course they said it was not them. Finally, after some 7 months they sent a guy here and he found some hardware loose on some transformers and left. It did not solve the problem.
    I found out that the FCC does not really get involved in this type of matter until the ARRL does their thing. That was to advise me to send a letter to the CEO of the company involved threatening a formal complaint to the FCC.
    That in turn in short order had another guy here with a corona camera and he found that the switching gear (?) at the substation was faulty and had to be replaced. it took 2 months to get a high voltage team in here to change that stuff out and solve the problem.
    Total time involved was about 15 months if I remember correctly.
    Would I live near a sub station again~~no.
    When I bought my new place I bought in a newer area that had all power and such underground and I have no noise now.
    If I were buying or going to rent in any area the first thing I would do if drive it and check for noise.
    US Army Radio Operator/instructor 1966-72
    MOS 05B/O5B4H

Crest is such a small town, and isolated community, that we can't have more than one OP on the air at a time. The entire mountaintop is only a few blocks long and wide. So if someone gets on with a Kilowatt (like I do), no one else is going to be on the band. Fortunately, I am at work most of the time and only get on for a few minutes after work while the rest of the Hams are having dinner. Think I am still the most active Ham on the hill though. I suppose if I was on 20SSB, they could work 75M or 40.
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Quote Originally Posted by W7KKK View Post
    Just a note for you, I last lived in a rental (good news is that I moved) less than 1/3 of a mile from a sub station. When I moved in and got some wire in the air just over 4 years ago I had S7-9 level noise and could only drive the power lines in the area finding it everywhere.
    I called the power company and of course they said it was not them. Finally, after some 7 months they sent a guy here and he found some hardware loose on some transformers and left. It did not solve the problem.
    I found out that the FCC does not really get involved in this type of matter until the ARRL does their thing. That was to advise me to send a letter to the CEO of the company involved threatening a formal complaint to the FCC.
    That in turn in short order had another guy here with a corona camera and he found that the switching gear (?) at the substation was faulty and had to be replaced. it took 2 months to get a high voltage team in here to change that stuff out and solve the problem.
    When I bought my new place I bought in a newer area that had all power and such underground and I have no noise now.
    If I were buying or going to rent in any area the first thing I would do if drive it and check for noise.

Thank you. That is very helpful. This particular property has other deal-breakers, but based on your experience I would not want the hassle of living near a sub-station, so that is now on my list of exclusions. And I would plan to do a noise check on any property I am serious about. That doesn't provide a guarantee, but if there is already a noise problem, then I can keep looking. Many of the semi-rural properties I have looked at have UG utilities from the street to the house, so the power line and transformer can be 400-500 feet away. Still no guarantee, but better than up close and personal.

73, Peter, N4UP

Given the windstorms in my rural subdivision, I typically encounter (hear and sometimes see) a poor pole-pig connection and/or bad insulator issue every year or two in my neighborhood. I've found that broadband noise to travel 1 to three blocks from the affected pole. Mostly, the affected and radiating "poles" can be identified by driving the streets and using your car's AM radio. My electric company has been rather responsive to customer trouble calls. YMMV.

Most of the time, my noise level, even on 75M and 160M, is around no more than S2 to S3. On the higher bands, it is S1.

Rural life isn't so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by W7KKK View Post
    Last edited by NL7W; 01-31-2013 at 12:49 AM.
    73, Steve, NL7W
    Not in but around Palmer, Alaska

Still looking at properties, having excluded so many from consideration. Right now the candidate property is 8 miles from a serious HF contester ( with 80,000 plus QRZ.com look-ups ). I would infer from comments so far than 8 miles should not be a problem, even if we are on the same band and mode at the same time?
    73, Peter, N4UP

In the same house would be fine. Been trying to get the XYL licensed for a few decades. Now that all the kids are gone (except for the cats) she might need a new hobby...(other than me, of course. )
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

Quote Originally Posted by KL7AJ View Post
    In the same house would be fine. Been trying to get the XYL licensed for a few decades. Now that all the kids are gone (except for the cats) she might need a new hobby...(other than me, of course. )
    I envy those with a spouse who shares the hobby. My former wife obtained her Novice back in the early 80s but was never really interested. I think two of my three kids would be interested if they had the time and weren't married ( at least they seem to like watching me operate and the stories I tell about hams even crazier than me ) . . . in some ways it is hard being retired/alone and seeing others so busy with things we no longer have to worry about.
    73, Peter, N4UP

How close ( or how far away ) would you prefer to be from another ham active on HF?
    Upwind or downwind?

Still looking at properties, having excluded so many from consideration. Right now the candidate property is 8 miles from a serious HF contester ( with 80,000 plus QRZ.com look-ups ). I would infer from comments so far than 8 miles should not be a problem, even if we are on the same band and mode at the same time?
    Probably not an issue, but expect him to be very strong. If he has good transmitters with low IMD, other than pinning your meter when you tune across his signal, I wouldn't expect any real problems.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8