Callsign
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newbie educational electronic kits; Which one?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters

Quote Originally Posted by KB9BVN View Post
    ARRL sells a book called "Hands on Radio" and a set of parts and pieces to build all the projects in the book. $80 for the parts kit, and I think $25 for the book. I have had literally hundreds of hours of fun with this setup.

Also, look for one of those 200 in 1 Electronic Trainer kits...those are always fun too.

Midnight Science has a bunch of crystal receiver kits.

Buy him a Scout Regen kit from http://www.qrpkits.com/scoutregen.html it's another fun kit.

Good luck!
    I was looking at the ARRL "Hands on Radio" kit for this project. From your posting it looks like a good choice to start the young lad with. Are there novice projects for a newbie to learn from there BVN? I see a scope on the cover so I am thinking with this kit does have more advanced projects as the student gains a education. TNX for your help and the rest of the Zed members who answered this post.
    Met on the level, left on the square.

A scope is not necessary for most of the experiments in Hands on Radio, but half the fun is in the measuring and substituting various values in some of the circuits. An old Tek 465 would come in handy, an old function generator is a lot of fun too, and getting your hands on a old RF/AF signal generator is worth hours and hours of fun with filters. Fire off an email to Ward Silver, he does the Hands on Radio columns in QST and see if he thinks the stuff is geared for a newbie. I'm no newbie but I have had a lot of fun with that book.
    God bless America

Quote Originally Posted by KB9BVN View Post
    A scope is not necessary for most of the experiments in Hands on Radio, but half the fun is in the measuring and substituting various values in some of the circuits. An old Tek 465 would come in handy, an old function generator is a lot of fun too, and getting your hands on a old RF/AF signal generator is worth hours and hours of fun with filters. Fire off an email to Ward Silver, he does the Hands on Radio columns in QST and see if he thinks the stuff is geared for a newbie. I'm no newbie but I have had a lot of fun with that book.
    TNX Brian for the help. I have an old Tek 485 scope & Rhode & Schwarz SMS signal generator which should fit the bill. I will shoot an Email off to Ward as you suggest to get his opinion on this matter. I have a $10.00 birthday certificate from the ARRL and can use that to help pay for the kit. Tnx again Mr. Brian for your comments.
    Met on the level, left on the square.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2