ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

Default MH59 mic problems

I purchased a MH59 remote mic for my FT857D. I have changed the menu setting (i think #59) to RMT. I did this before I hooked the mic up. The only button that works on the mic is the power button. No PTT or anything. Any suggestions? Bad mic or radio issue?
    Thanks

Try unplugging the mic , then go back to menu & turn off the 59 option .
    Then plug the mic in and then do menu option 59 .
    It may need to see the 59 mic when you change to menu item .
    Its been some yrs since I added mine , but sometimes on menu changes , you have press & hold a botton before its takes the change .
    Last resort is to do a reset .

I am new here but not to this radio and I have the same set up, you have to program menu's 68,69 and 70 to use all the functions. I am not near the radio it is a mobile but if you need these settings I can check where they are set, let me know

I tried all the above to no avail. Another problem i noticed, is when the 59 mic is plugged in when the menu item is still set to NOR the mic keyed starts randomly sending code

I purchased a Yaesu MH-59 remote mic for my FT-857D.
    The only button that works on the microphone is the Power button.
    No PTT or anything. Any suggestions? Bad mic or radio issue?
    Yaesu MH-59A8J Remote microphone - Technical Supplement
    Schematic diagram in the this Technical Supplement (Service Manual) shows the complexity inside microphone.
    http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/Yaesu/Yaesu_MH-59A8J.pdf

Photo inside the Yaesu MH-59, by AE7Q
    http://www.ae7q.net/doc/public/MH-59.php

The PWR button on MH-59 is an isolated switch (NOT routed via microprocessor),
    that GROUNDS PWR (MIC-FST) line on Pin 1 of the J1001 connector inside the microphone.

With a VOM or DVM you can perform the easy test (continuity) of the micro switch (S1003) used for PTT.
    IF that switch is faulty, replace.

NOTE: The PTT switch (S1003) connects to the microprocessor (part of keypad matrix).
    The microprocessor controls PTT line, via Q1002.
    A bad port on the microprocessor (UPD78F9026AGB) OR bad Q1002 (DTC143ZE) prevents PTT operation.

IF you purchased the MH-59 USED, then someone may have performed an earlier modification, badly -- causing damage to PC board or other components.
    http://www.w1aex.com/mh59/mh59.html

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 12-31-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Nullius in verba

I purchased the mic new, and still have the box. I think it would be easier to just return it and get a replacement, since it was faulty from the factory. If it turns out that the mic was not the problem, does anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem in the radio?

Quote Originally Posted by K3WDT View Post
    ...If it turns out that the mic was not the problem, does anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem in the radio?
    Don't worry about whether there will be a bridge over the next valley unless and until you come to that valley.

First get the replacement mic and see if it works as advertised.

If it doesn't, that would be the time to delve deeper.

Any "answers" to your question as of right now could only qualify as pure conjecture and guesswork, when troubleshooting I try to avoid that kind of thing as it can lead the technician far, far astray.

Happy New Year es 73

Turns out that the mic is fine, it works on other ft857d's. I got a replacement just to be safe, and it still does not work on my radio. After resetting the radio and matching every setting with a radio that the mic works on, still no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by K3WDT
    Turns out that the mic is fine, it works on other ft857d's. I got a replacement just to be safe, and it still does not work on my radio. After resetting the radio and matching every setting with a radio that the mic works on, still no luck.
    Then a problem exists with your FT-857D radio.
    Contact your DEALER, where you purchased OR Yaesu USA for Warranty Service.
    http://www.yaesu.com/?cmd=ContactUs&DivisionID=65

Yaesu USA
    6125 Phyllis Drive
    Cypress, CA 90630 USA
    1-714-827-7600
    For Technical Support or Customer Service call, (714)827-7600 between 8AM – 5PM PST
    For Parts Department call (714)827-7600 (8AM – 5PM PST)

Before sending your radio for repair, please contact our Customer Service Department by telephone or at the e-mail address below.
    Verify that warranty or billable service is available for your radio.
    To send in your radio for repair, please pack it carefully. Use the original packing materials, if available, and place it inside an additional box.
    Ship via UPS, preferably. Insure your shipment for the full replacement value.

The shipping address is:
    Yaesu USA
    Attn: Amateur Repair
    6125 Phyllis Drive
    Cypress, CA 90630

Please include a cover letter and describe the problem(s) you are experiencing in as much detail as possible. Provide your daytime telephone number, return shipping address (not a P.O. Box number), and your e-mail address, in case we cannot reach you via telephone.

To follow up on status of a repair, you may also send e-mail to customerservice@yaesu.com.
    Nullius in verba

does anybody have any ideas aside from sending the radio in? I bought the radio used, no box, and would just rather fix myself or with some help from my club if at all possible

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast