ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Contribute
to QRZ

Default TS480 VS Icom 706 MK2G

With all the talk on the TS 480 vs elecraft I was wondering how the 480 stacked up against the ICom 706 mk2G? I have the icom and like it. This is my first icom and a little disappointed with the cw filter. I have the 500hz filter and it does not seem to do the job of the 500hz filters in my other kenwoods. I have a feeling the 480 is a better radio but how much better?

Thanks Brian

Quote Originally Posted by KB4MNG View Post
    With all the talk on the TS 480 vs elecraft I was wondering how the 480 stacked up against the ICom 706 mk2G? I have the icom and like it. This is my first icom and a little disappointed with the cw filter. I have the 500hz filter and it does not seem to do the job of the 500hz filters in my other kenwoods. I have a feeling the 480 is a better radio but how much better?

Thanks Brian
    ooooo, good one! Subscribed!
    de Jim

Might as well jump in here.........I have both radios....the 706 MKIIG and a TS-480SAT.
    The 480 has a much easier to see display and the most common used functions have buttons
    and knobs on the front associated with those functions. The DSP in the 480 is not the best. But,
    certainly not the worst. I don't have any of the optional filters in it. But, find that I rarely need them.
    What I don't like about the 480 is the fact that the microphone does not connect to the remote display.
    Instead, you have to run the mic cable to the rig. In a mobile environment that can be (and is in my case)
    a pain. The audio on the rig's internal speaker (mounted inside the rear of the remote display) can be muffled
    depending on where you mount the remote display. So, an external speaker is a must.
    And the radio is BIG and bulky. It takes up a lot more room under a seat than the 706's main body does.
    But, that can be worked around. I have used the 480SAT in an 18 wheeler and it worked fairly well.
    BUT, the noise blanker could not handle the noise being generated from my truck's computer (2007 Kenworth
    with a Caterpillar engine) without making the audio sound muddy and weak signals being distorted.
    I replace the 480 in the big truck with an ICOM 7000 and find it is just as easy to see as the 480 and
    the Noise Blanker works much better (not perfect, but, very acceptable).
    The 706MKIIG, I have in my 1997 Dodge 2500 pickup. (Cummins diesel) It works quite well and the truck
    is old enough to not have issues with noise that the big truck has. I do not have filters in that radio either.
    And there are a few occasions where I have wished I did. But, not often. Should I ever want to replace that
    radio, I'll probably go with another 7000. I would be interested in the new 7100 for the pickup, but, I'm not
    crazy about the touch screen display and the fact that it will be like the 480 , in that you cannot attach the
    remote display to the main body of the radio. In some vehicles, that won't be a problem. In others, like the
    big truck, it might be an issue. Guess, I'll find out when they actually start shipping them!!!
    james
    WD5GWY

My experience is the noise elimination toys on the TS-480 is far superior to the IC-706 MkIIG.
    73 de Charles - KC8VWM
    North American QRP CW Club #3159, SKCC# 5752

Have owned them both--still have the 480 because it is much easier to see the display and use the functions while mobile. Plus, IMO the receiver is far superior
    There are sheep. There are wolves who prey on the sheep. There are sheepdogs who protect the sheep from the wolves. God protect those of us who are sheepdogs.

I've owned both and the TS-480 is a better radio.
    Especially with the 270hz and 1.8khx narrow filters
    -----

NRA Life Member
    USPSA / IPSC
    ARRL

Have never owned the 706 MK IIG but did have a 703+ QRP rig with W4RT duel filters and it had an excellent receiver in it. The only thing I found better at the time was after I built my K2 and it was an improvement. My 480 is a great mobile rig large display easy to read, 200w I don't run an amp, easy remote mount with Turbo Tuner and Screwdriver ant. I work quite a few stations and some DX but it's receiver is not it's strong suite my IC-7000 had a better receiver but I hated the small display some used the built in dash display for it that would be fine I guess. The new IC-7200 looks like a very interesting new mobile radio.

Mobile radios in general just because of the size and most wanting to meet a price point leave a lot to be desired in performance.

My next mobile radio will be an Elecraft KX3 (display a bit larger than the 480) as soon as the 100w amp starts production 1st quarter 2013. As it stands now it has the best numbers out there according to Sherwood's and QST's testing. I'm using one now for my QRP rig amazing so much in such a small box. It is a true SDR as such and it's feature set is unmatched also fully loaded with every option offered almost $1500 factory built.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

No contest! TS-480 is the far better rig. Better RX, no heating issues (the IC-706 get's hot even while receiving). People are always comparing the TS-480 to the IC-7000 and Elecraft rigs for a reason. Even though they are in a far different price class.

The TS-480SAT gives you a very good internal tuner. The TS-480HX gives you no tuner but 200W. I'd rather have the tuner. Mic on the rig body and not on the faceplate? No problem. A Cat 5 Cable with a 99 cent junction adapter (For hooking 2 Cat 5 cables together) and you can put your mic anywhere you want it. External Speaker? Don't we all run them anyway? Check the reviews, most reviewers are happy with the speaker. No room on the desk? Leave the faceplate in the box, and hide the body of the rig wherever you choose and use Kenwood's free software or HRD to control it.

If your going to find a better rig than the TS-480, your going to have to pony up more then $1000.
    Steve
    Macomb, IL

I love these 480 comparisons guys. Please keep them coming. I'm considering upgrading to one after the first of the year.
    "If it aint broke don't fix it. "If you can't fix it get a bigger hammer."

73,Tom

Steve

The IC-7000's aren't a $1000 more than a 480 for sure try a couple of hundred ($12xx) and once you have to add the filters to the 480 and a few more options to equal the 7000 it's a wash if not more. These are both "Mobile" radios most any full size base rig can do better in a newer radio. The 480 is a little long in the tooth and today buyers look for radios that have a least a partly SDR design. With them if the manufacturer has a track record of good support firmware upgrades should come regularly and the radio will be like a new one with each with new options.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast