ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec

Default Question about the yaesu ft 920

I have a chance to get a ft 920 at a good price. I know it's over 10 years old. I have really looked on the web and there is not much information out there on this particular model. I'm a cw operator, how is the reciever? Any problems that plaque this model? If the performance is lackluster or there are "radio killer" problems, ill look elsewhere.

Thanks KB4MNG

I owned one for a bit over a decade and mine was of a 1997 production run, very close to first run, IIRC. An INRAD CW filter will improve the receiver measurably. You will hear IF blowby unless the DSP is switched on (for me this was most noticeable as hearing a signal on the "other" side of zero beat). In mine the plastic couplers coupling the motors to the capacitors in the auto-tuner cracked. After replacement one motor did not work and I didn't pursue it further. As the tuning range of the auto-tuner is limited I chose to simply use an LDG-AT250 instead.

Otherwise, it was a good radio that I made a lot of contacts with. Over the years I added several INRAD filters including the filter switch board for SSB so I could choose between the stock ceramic 2.7 kHz and INRAD 2.1 kHz filters. I found that I could switch the 2.1 kHz filter in ahead of the 400 Hz CW filter and improve the IF capability of the '920 on CW.

Depending on your current radio, it could be a nice step up especially with its 6m capability.
    Nate, Bremen, KS
    "Amateur radio--a real time social network using radio waves"