ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Quote Originally Posted by KA3JLW View Post
    I've always wondered how QST/ARRL finds out about THAT many per month. They can't all be widows writing in, right? ...does the magazine come back "deceased"? They don't comb obituaries, do they? Does the FCC get notified somehow and QST is summarizing that data?
    I believe a relative is supposed to inform the FCC of a SK, and the date of death starts the 2 year waiting period before callsign reissue. QST relies on notification by next of kin or a reliable source (such as a newspaper obituary) from anyone else.

But I believe the OP had a different question,. and that was about the attrition rate: whether we are gaining more NEW hams than SK's.

Quote Originally Posted by KA3JLW View Post
    I've always wondered how QST/ARRL finds out about THAT many per month. They can't all be widows writing in, right? ...does the magazine come back "deceased"? They don't comb obituaries, do they? Does the FCC get notified somehow and QST is summarizing that data?
    QST has to be advised of the death. What we read every month are not recent deaths but probably from a few months past.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4