Callsign
ad: Rohn-1
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Paper QSL's love them or hate them?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

I don't collect, but do keep all that are sent to me. I've only been in the hobby about seven years and already 1000s take up too much space.
    I reply 100% to those that do collect, but would be just fine if I never received yet another postcard with a picture of some old guy in front of his gear. I haven't requested a QSL card since my first year.
    I tell folks to just send a SASE, keep your card and save a quarter.

For those that love them, be sure to send an SASE when requested.
    USA is the worst offender for PSE QSL with an otherwise empty envelope.
    I love the hobby, but I shouldn't have to pay for you loving it too!
    vy 73, de frank, k2ncc

if i ever get on HF i'd definitely prefer actual cards. not at all interested in eQSL, LOTW, ... (surprising, since nearly everything else I do is online)
    [I]*censored*[/I]

paper qsl cards do have a use, i recieved the CQ Magazine in the mail recently and saw the VASCO DA GAMA AWARD, and after reading through and checking my qsl cards, i had nearly every one to get to class 5 of this award, so it does have some thing to look forward to, the qsl cards may be a problem when you are busy and working with a family, but what do you do when you have retired, the kids have gone on their own way, you read magazines and look through your cards, you never know what is in that pile.

RON VK4QO

Quote Originally Posted by K2NCC View Post
    I don't collect, but do keep all that are sent to me. I've only been in the hobby about seven years and already 1000s take up too much space.
    I reply 100% to those that do collect, but would be just fine if I never received yet another postcard with a picture of some old guy in front of his gear. I haven't requested a QSL card since my first year.
    I tell folks to just send a SASE, keep your card and save a quarter.

For those that love them, be sure to send an SASE when requested.
    USA is the worst offender for PSE QSL with an otherwise empty envelope.
    I love the hobby, but I shouldn't have to pay for you loving it too!
    When I send cards - I love cards from people who care to return them. I don't want a QSL from anyone who grumbles about it, is made poor by it or just would prefer not to. Not beeing snooty, just that I'm not sending them with a string attached. And you (or anyone) don't HAVE to do anything when a QSL shows up. Even if it has an SASE. It does take time, cards and some effort to respond to such a request. if I send you a QSL with or without an SASE, I take my chances of getting one back and have no feeling that I'm owed a debt.

Thankfully, you make your QSL position clear on your QRZ page. I have no problem with your stance and VERY MUCH appreciate you sharing it clearly. I do wish more people who have some kind of policy would state it as you have - so I avoid wasting my money sending something to someone who doesn't care. When I send cards...I'll go through a few 'filters' before sending, and one is to look at the QRZ page - do they have requirements to QSL'ing? Are the requirements worth it to me? The disappointing thing are the hams that have such requirements/policies for returning QSLs but won't share those requirements.
    Last edited by KA3JLW; 12-10-2012 at 12:52 AM.

DX cards are fun, and I would like to one day use them as wallpaper for the shack. I have never had paper cards to send with the KJ5T card as I have put off getting some printed. Though if I get active more with my own call (most of my activity since getting the KJ5T call as been guest operating) I will probably get some cards printed. I don't love them or hate them, they are part of the hobby and can be fun and I "like" them but I am a bit more nonchalant about the whole thing.
    73'
    +Steve/KJ5T

Quote Originally Posted by AC4BB View Post
    Do you love paper QSL cards? They can be expensive due to printing costs. postage and time consuming. they consume hundreds of thousands of trees . That cannot be good for the enviroment. But, if, you're against other methods they're perfect. They look good on the wall and are a great conversation pieces. "
    Hey, Look Bill, this is the QSL from the Bulgarian Civil war special event station I worked back in 72 on a hairpin at 5 feet." "WOW, cool 599 no less."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love them and collect them in shoe boxes. I reply to each one quickly and send them in an envelope so that they get there in good shape.

de NK2U

Ridgecrest, California - Kern County - Grid DM15dp - 65 miles west of Bad Water, Death Valley N.P.

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post
    I had this grandiose idea of printing cards on an Inkjet. I only got about 25 cards per cartridge, which went for $45 each!!! YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is why most people print graphical-limited inkjet QSLs or very limited quantity of graphic-heavy cards to send. On that note, the only reason I could think of to use an inkjet printer to make graphic-heavy QSLs is to be able to have an array of images to print on the obverse of the card. Other than that, IMHO you're wasting your money trying to use an inkjet printer for QSLs.

I started out trying to do inkjet QSLs years ago and gave up, when like you, I found it was probably cheaper to send the other op's each a $5 bill with the QSO written on it rather than fight trying to get a 'cheap' inkjet QSL to look like I wanted it to. I have found it way cheaper to have a 1000 cards printed, with full color graphics and 2 sided printing, than try to print a 100 on an inkjet printer. In fact I just ordered my third box of 1000 this week from UX5UO QSLs.

Time for a shameless plug, but if anyone is considering getting QSL cards printed commercially, do yourself a favor and check out Gennady's services. You won't be disappointed.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=5][FONT=Georgia]Gene Brewer - W5DQ[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]DXCC - WAZ - VUCC - WAS - WAC - IOTA
    ARRL Life Member - Sierra ARC - Hi Desert DX Association
    W6 Incoming DX QSL Buro "L" Segment Sorter
    Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][HR][/HR][B][SIZE=3][URL="http://www.radioroom.org"][COLOR=#ff0000]http://www.radioroom.org[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][HR][/HR][COLOR=seagreen][B][SIZE=3]Holders of 5DQ / W5DQ Callsign
    1916 thru 2012[/SIZE][/B]
    [SIZE=2]
    Circa 1916 : Mr. Roy Stanton, Bonham, Texas (assumed SK)
    Circa 1921 : Mr. Felix Boizelle, New Orleans, Louisiana (SK)
    Circa 1923 : T.J.M. Daly, North Little Rock, Arkansas (assumed SK)
    Circa 1925 : Q. Vockrodt (assumed SK) and Frances O. Davis (SK),
    both of Cushing, Oklahoma. Call listed for both names.
    1926 - 1941 : Mr. Francis Owen Davis, Cushing, OK (SK)
    1947 - 1998 : Dr. Felix Boizelle, M.D., Baton Rouge, LA (SK)
    2000 - 2008 : Mr. Landon John (Jack) Brewer, Jr., Hatfield, AR (my Dad) (SK)
    2009 - onward : Gene Brewer, Ridgecrest, CA[/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

I've lost a lot of "mementos" during my lifetime, but have somehow managed to hang on to the QSL's I received as a novice during '61 & '62! Now,... going back & looking at them is a real treat & it takes me back over 51 years. I recently returned 2 of K9UIY's QSL's sent to me 51 years ago!! I got the idea from K5ALU (Red) ...when he sent back the QSL I had sent him in 1963. Talk about memories! Back then I made my own cards using a "Postal" card with a rubber stamp & my call-sign was "ironed-on" crayon (for some colour) But I was proud of them. Now I use "store-bought" cards from ".cheapqsls.com" and only send 'em upon receipt of theirs. I too check out the QSL's I receive in the mail before looking at any of the other stuff that comes to my box. As they used to say; "A QSL is the final courtesy of a QSO" dit dit
    73 de STEVE Peakin' & dippin' since '61 -cw only-
    WLO/KLB/USNCVA/VWOA.org

I love QSL cards. Mine are stored in photo albums, which are perfect because the albums have 4" x 6" sleeves, and most QSL cards measure 3.5" x 5.5". I've always enjoyed browsing through those albums with my 3 kids, 2 of which are now hams. We used to do the browsing with a globe at hand, and it often turned into a great geography lesson. These things you can't do so easily with LoTW. (Note to those with ARRL sensitivities: I'm a big user of LoTW, so I am merely comparing, not necessarily criticizing, LoTW.)

I don't put every QSL card in the photo albums -- we have some shoeboxes that hold the less-important and less-beautiful cards. And, sadly, I've had to become a lot more selective in sending cards direct (due to postal rates and my own tight budget). These days, I will only send a card and greenstamps to an all-time new country. Everything else goes through LoTW.

One final note -- shunning QSL cards because they're a paper product is preposterous. God made trees so we could have shade, fruit, wood and QSL cards (not necessarily listed in order of importance!).

73 de WW2E

I like paper cards for the same reason I like paper books: something about them that you just cannot get from electronic version.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6