ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
    Savanna, Illinois, the west coast of Illinois that is.

At one of the places I rented I set up my shack in a large downstairs closet. The room probably was intended to be a storage or sewing room or something when the house was built because there was no closet in it and it was to small to fit even a single twin sized bed in. There was no light fixture nor electrical outlets. There was a very small window that let some light in.

The landlord had no problem with me installing an over head light fixture and switch and several outlets in the walls so I did. I installed additional outlets in all the rooms in the house and overhead lighting in all the rooms I could without tearing out drywall, along with an additional fuse box, he wouldn't pay for a proper breaker box so I put in separate 4 fuse box I already owned, that way I had one for the downstairs and one for upstairs..

When I first got my station setup and going there was a distinct echo in the room. A lot of folks commented on it, especially when I would talk to folks on the local 2M repeater. A lot of them seemed to think I was using a chicken band echo mic or at least an amplified CB mic with the rig. It didn't matter that I did not even own an echo mic, they were convinced.

As time passed I put up shelves on two of the walls from about desk height nearly to the ceiling and installed a curtain over the window and the echo effect was nulled by the additional junk in the room. Personally so long as I can understand who I have a QSO with I don't care much what they are using for equipment even if they are using a nasty old CB echo repeat box. If I feel the need for the contact, like if they will QSL and they are in a state I need, I'll swap information and send a card.

I have to admit I have only heard a very few hams on ham bands that are using a echo box and never a echo repeat box or the other CB noise toys. Once in a while I do hear freebanders on the low part of 10M running their junk full tilt boogie. They don't count as they are not hams {mostly}
    KA9VQF

Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.

“The only difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstein

Please don't get me wrong, the guy was using a very small amount of echo and as you said, one would be hard pressed to tell but I just wanted to see what others thought of these effects. I do agree it can be miss used but if done right, whats the harm?

It's not about what harm is being done. It's just a quick way to get labeled a lid.

I have partial hearing loss and adding something like that to the signal can make it impossible for me to know what is being said.

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Quote Originally Posted by W0AAT View Post
    I have partial hearing loss and adding something like that to the signal can make it impossible for me to know what is being said.
    I have the same problem and observation.

So I encourage my wife to use an echo.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by KO6WB View Post
    If what you say is true then why don't broadcast stations use an echo effect?
    Clearly you've never heard any of the "Mexican" AM Broadcast stations.

Quote Originally Posted by W0AAT View Post
    I don't know that there's anything wrong with my hearing, but I hear plenty of stations on VHF and UHF that obviously are (mis)using a speech processor and it's all but impossible for me to know what is being said.

A little reverb can add to the effective power output of an SSB signal such as compression does. To be honest, a little reverb sounds a lot better than the sound of too much compression. Those guys sound like they are in a wind tunnel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2