Callsign
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does the yaesu ft 1000 mp Mkv 's really fry amps ?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc

Quote Originally Posted by WA7PRC View Post
    Thanks. I found the article. It's interesting what they said about IMD on fone. Yeah, it's not great. FWIW, in the five years I've had mine, no one has complained to me about splatter. Yet. The good news is, using Morse, IMD is zero.

I've never bothered to monitor drive power to my amplifier. On fone, I drive it to just below where it clips, as shown by the monitor oscilloscope. On Morse, I drive it to no more than the IGRID limit.
    No IMD on CW, that's sure true.

I've had a TS-850SAT since new in 1990 and I think it's a very good rig in almost all ways but I never use it at "full power," since I can't think of any reason to do that. My amps only require either 10W drive (4-1000A homebrew, grid driven) or 60W drive (AL-80B), so that helps keep it cleaner.

But my "neighbors" (I do have about a dozen who live within a few miles and are very active on HF) do notice when I go from the 850S to my TR-7 (for example) and do proclaim, "Wow, I can get within 3 kHz of you now!" (which they cannot with the 850S).

I think if you have no close neighbors on HF, 99% of the time having somewhat higher than desired IMD wouldn't really matter. Unfortunately, I do have close neighbors on HF, and none of them are using junk...they're using good stuff, we just happen to be close and LOS to each other so we all notice any time anyone changes anything.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

If I get a round tuit, I'll drag out the SA and peek at how wide my 850 is. It's just a SWAG but, there may be a lot more splatter generated by not correctly adjusting an amplifier with a very clean exciter, than by using a not-so-clean exciter barefoot. I cringe when I read about someone just tuning for maximum CW power. When I did that and then looked at it with a 'scope, the flat topping was very ugly. I bet I was as wide as a barn door.

Steve, you are fortunate that your ham neighbours are tolerant of critique and technically savvy.

In many cases, his buddies will tell a guy that he sounds just great and tell critics to go pizzup a rope! Usually the first question outa their mouths is "Wut kinda receiver ya usin'?", and it goes downhill from there. Many are OFs, so it's not just the noobs. They. just. don't. care!

As I type this, I'm listening to the ridiculous and sublime firing up on 80 meters. Oh well... <Rant off>

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DQ View Post
    Steve, you are fortunate that your ham neighbours are tolerant of critique and technically savvy.

In many cases, his buddies will tell a guy that he sounds just great and tell critics to go pizzup a rope! Usually the first question outa their mouths is "Wut kinda receiver ya usin'?", and it goes downhill from there. Many are OFs, so it's not just the noobs. They. just. don't. care!

As I type this, I'm listening to the ridiculous and sublime firing up on 80 meters. Oh well... <Rant off>
    Well, "cockpit error" by operators is pretty common, among newbies of course, but also often among older and experienced operators who just can't fathom that their receiver isn't as great as they thought it was. Exacerbated by operating with preamps on, noise blankers and other issues that make receivers worse in most performance respects.

When I check signals out here, I never rely on one receiver. I usually switch from the TS-850S to the Orion, to the TR-7 to the 75A-4. If someone's signal is ratty and wide on all four, especially if he's not that local and not even close to overloading anything, I become convinced it's really "him."
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

If I get a round tuit, I'll drag out the SA and peek at how wide my 850 is. It's just a SWAG but, there may be a lot more splatter generated by not correctly adjusting an amplifier with a very clean exciter, than by using a not-so-clean exciter barefoot. I cringe when I read about someone just tuning for maximum CW power. When I did that and then looked at it with a 'scope, the flat topping was very ugly. I bet I was as wide as a barn door.
    Problem is, a lot of barefoot transceivers without any outboard amps at all aren't very clean, and with SS rigs, there's nothing to tune up. One thing that does impact signal cleanliness is TX loading, even with "no tune" SS rigs...and I've noted my SS rigs are absolutely cleaner if I use their internal ATUs to provide a nearly perfect match to their PAs (barefoot).

Good reason for an internal ATU, even if one's antennas are "pretty close" and the transmitters don't fold back on power.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    Problem is, a lot of barefoot transceivers without any outboard amps at all aren't very clean, and with SS rigs, there's nothing to tune up. One thing that does impact signal cleanliness is TX loading, even with "no tune" SS rigs...and I've noted my SS rigs are absolutely cleaner if I use their internal ATUs to provide a nearly perfect match to their PAs (barefoot).

Good reason for an internal ATU, even if one's antennas are "pretty close" and the transmitters don't fold back on power.
    This might explain the recent FCC expansion of HF fone segments... to accommodate more splattering SSB signals using amplifiers that are underloaded/overdriven.

This might explain the recent FCC expansion of HF fone segments... to accommodate more splattering SSB signals using amplifiers that are underloaded/overdriven.
    I think that's it.

Don't forget to mention that on CW there are still a lot of rigs out there that create key clicks. The FT-1000MP/MKV is one of those. That's the CW equivalent of splatter.

For several years the only modern rigs (popular transceivers) I ever heard on CW that were absolutely click-free bore the Ten Tec label. Now, Elecraft and others have joined those ranks. But for a while there, it was really common.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2