ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec

Default icom 703 batteries strategy

hello!
    i would like to have a advice about how to power my icom 703 when i go outside special attivation on mountains.
    somebody told me to use nimh 9.6 v but in this way i will trasmit with 5 watts. k would like to trasmit with 10 watts.
    so could i use lipo 3c 12.6 volt 2ah or do u think it s better lead acid 12v 7ah..?

help me
    73 de iz0joj

Quote Originally Posted by IZ0JOJ View Post
    hello!
    i would like to have a advice about how to power my icom 703 when i go outside special attivation on mountains.
    somebody told me to use nimh 9.6 v but in this way i will trasmit with 5 watts. k would like to trasmit with 10 watts.
    so could i use lipo 3c 12.6 volt 2ah or do u think it s better lead acid 12v 7ah..?

help me
    73 de iz0joj
    ten watts out the radio draws 3 amps

i like gel cells they are cheap
    and easy to use

using my IC 703 portable
    power it with two 7 amp hour gel cells

at ten watts its good for one day at 20% transmit
    at five watts or less its good for the week end

Hi
    When I had a 703 I set it to use the timer off function set to 60 mins in case I didn't touch it for an hour it would shut down, display backlight timer enabled or no backlight, in daylight you can see the display pretty easy without the backlight, no switch/button backlight, and ran it off a 18ah gel cell. Ran for days at 10w, mostly rxing though. Add a small solar panel and you should be good to go.