Callsign
ad: tentec
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Fcc proposes to restore 1900-2000 khz in the 160m band to primary status

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-tentec

GQK:

Probably vote for Labor Day, might for New Year's Day, since, at least on this side of "the pond", no special meal, especially one involving turkey, is served on those days. Definitely would not vote for Thanksgiving Day and probably not for Christmas Day!

Glen, K9STH

Well, maybe...but there's not much else out there for wide-area navigation. Omega has been gone for going on 20 years now. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by N2RJ View Post
    The AM medium broadcast band ends at 1710. I don't think you want highway advisory radio or Rush Limbaugh to interfere with GPS.
    "Turn right. Turn right. Turn right."

But seriously, I don't know what kind of radiolocation uses the frequencies at the upper end of 160. I know of aviation NDBs, but they all (IIRC) are below the AM broadcast band. Is it some sort of marine beacon service?

Quote Originally Posted by WU8Y View Post
    I don't know what kind of radiolocation uses the frequencies at the upper end of 160. I know of aviation NDBs, but they all (IIRC) are below the AM broadcast band. Is it some sort of marine beacon service?
    Here is one: http://www.ominous-valve.com/hyperfix.html

Note that "Hyperfix is rapidly being replaced by differential GPS. The once-loud chain in Los Angeles appears to have been shut down a year or two ago."

Another one: http://www.blueoceantackle.com/longl..._equipment.htm (scroll down to the middle of the page)

These things can still be heard in the band. Usually weak CW beacons; they run only 5 watts.
    "Invention is the mother of necessity."

Any idea why San Diego is specifically called out? I'm guessing this is related to the large military presence here?

23. Current Federal use of the 1900-2000 kHz band is light, with 10 assignments that authorize
    operations in this band. A single Federal assignment authorizes land and mobile stations in the RLS to
    transmit on 1922 kHz using a necessary bandwidth of 600 hertz (Hz) within a protected radius of
    193 kilometers (km) centered on San Diego, California
    . All other Federal assignments in the
    1900-2000 kHz band are for unallocated uses, and thus, these assignments operate on an unprotected and
    non-interference basis.(55)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4