Callsign
ad: HamShirt-1

Thread: Is a Sincore Mighty Mite IV tube tester a decent tester?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl

Default Is a Sincore Mighty Mite IV tube tester a decent tester?

Is a Sencore Mighty Mite IV tube tester a decent tester?:

Or should I try to get something from the 70’s to the 80’s? The Mighty Mite VII was there last one made. And even Heathkit had one until 1990.
    I know it is not a conductance tester which is more desirable, but it is in excellent condition. I will use it in testing tubes in old ham radios I plan in refurbishing from the 60’s.

Very good tester.. will get the job done, have one sitting on the bench.. there is an internal as I remember 12AX7 that when weak will kill your readings. I would check that one every few years, other than that if you have the tube book, you are good to go.. Fred

I have one of them that was given to me by a TV tech friend who retired. I use it often. So far it has tested every boatanchor tube I've run across. Yes, there have been a few that tested good, but were marginal in-circuit. Perhaps that's due to not being a conductance tester, as you say. I wish I hadn't given away the other tester I had...it was good to be able to test a tube in 2 different testers. I foolishly thought I was done with boatanchors and gave away an attic full of tubes and both testers. Lucky for me, one of the recipients wasn't interested in testing tubes, so I got the Sencore back. No doubt there are some very old tubes it won't test, but I don't do the real antique stuff like BC radios from the 20's and 30's.

The Mity Mite is guaranteed to sell tubes. It is an emission tester and almost worthless, find a mutual conductance tester then check the tubes that pass in circuit to be certain.

Quote Originally Posted by W5JO View Post
    The Mity Mite is guaranteed to sell tubes....
    Like the "Little Gem" fuse tester?

You said I should get the Mutual Conductance tube tester, so would that include a Dynamic Conductance. I see there is some difference even between those two.