ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov

Quote Originally Posted by N2EY View Post
    It's kinda funny, though. One of the advantages of voice modes is that they're supposedly faster than CW. Yet I often hear phone ops doing stuff that slows down the actual information rate!

73 de Jim, N2EY
    it seems to me that correctly conducted CW communication would be the more efficient mode.

Jerry/N6MEJ

The only thing I just find dumb beyond words is the folks on SSB who say "hi hi" instead of just laughing.
    But then, there are the guys (just worked one yesterday on SSB actually!) who "laugh inappropriately" in
    a QSO on the air. Just seemed really weird with these "laughing bouts" tossed in after comments that just
    weren't really all that funny.... as if to emphasize a slightly humorous comment I made or he did, but he is
    aware how silly it is to say "hi hi" so overcompensates with "real" laughter that's just odd at best.

The world is a funny place, isn't it?

Dave
    WB7AWK

I think a lot of hams over-think and worry about silly things

Quote Originally Posted by KA6MLE View Post
    I think a lot of hams over-think and worry about silly things

So do I. But it's been fun seeing what people think about this silly thing.

Jerry/N6MEJ

Qsl on this innernets qso, so I am qrt, qsx.

I realize I'm late in commenting, but "COMMON ENGLISH" on 'phone is a much better way to communicate than to use "Q" codes, at least extensively. YES, I do occasionally fall into that "bad habit," but usually when an original response isn't understood, particularly by a foreign station, or when conditions or QRM (OOPS, my bad!) I mean, interference may not allow for quick understanding of a concept, (just as the "Standard" phonetics may not always work.)
    But too many (often newly licensed) operators think that use of the "Q" codes make them appear to be seasoned hams. Overuse of "Q" codes will actually label them as just the opposite. Some go so far as to "memorize" many of the seldom used and esoteric codes, so that they appear (in their own mind) to be experienced operators, but the other station doesn't recognize, causing numerous repeats of contact information. How many non-CW operators would know what QSN or QSR means, if used in a phone contact?

Then again, even on 'phone, we Amateurs DO use some "CW" abbreviations. I hear many,many stations calling "CQ," but I don't ever remember hearing a 'phone station calling "General Call to Any Station."

So it's a matter of preventing overuse; we all know a few of the "Q" codes, and they DO (or at least can) convey an idea faster then a spoken explanation, particularly if there's a possible language differential between the two stations. On the other hand, it's also for even new operators to understand a handful or "Q" codes; sucn as QTH, QRM, QRN, and the much overused "QSL."

For decades, the Miami, Florida, police department used Q-signals instead of 10-codes.

Glen, K9STH

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    For decades, the Miami, Florida, police department used Q-signals instead of 10-codes.

Glen, K9STH
    yes, some years ago I also heard Q codes used on public service bands. Haven't listened in quite a while so I've not. A clue if it still used.

Jerry/N6MEJ

Q-codes are very common on phone. The use doesn't bother me a bit. I have never seen anything "official" that says Q-codes are inappropriate on phone, just the opinions of a few on places like this. I'm not a heavy user of them myself, just the occasional "QSL, QRN, QRM". I don't think hams use them on phone to appear more seasoned. They use them because they hear them being used. I don't think it is a bad habit to use them on phone, and there is no basis to think they are. I think it is just the ramblings of a few narcissistic hams.
    This is just one of those silly things that some feel the need to complain about, accomplishing nothing
    Nothing like sitting around a campfire, working DX

A couple of weeks or so ago I did hear someone on 20m phone go on a bit of a rant against using Q codes in the context of phone QSOs. But he seemed to be angry at CW and CW ops generally and not so much the Q codes specifically. I have no problem with Q codes myself.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6