ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NN3W View Post
    Didn't realize that contests create different propagation effects than "talker" propogation. Must be all the gas emitted from the "talkers".
    That's right. Talker gas increases recombination in the F region thereby lowering the plasma frequency (and thus the MUF).

Quote Originally Posted by K8GU View Post
    That's right. Talker gas increases recombination in the F region thereby lowering the plasma frequency (and thus the MUF).
    So that's why everything closes down (except 75m ragchews) as soon as a contest is overwith.

Quote Originally Posted by WU8Y View Post
    So that's why everything closes down (except 75m ragchews) as soon as a contest is overwith.
    That's quite odd, been on most of the day on 40 and 20 both were loaded with signals?

Quote Originally Posted by AC4BB View Post
    That's quite odd, been on most of the day on 40 and 20 both were loaded with signals?
    *sigh* It's a joke...

Still, the point is kinda valid.

There were two spots on the 'cluster. Pretty decent-sized pileups on both, from what I could hear. (The only thing that got me the H44 was that he called for "Caribbean and South America" right after I got on frequency. ) The rest of the band?

Not even crickets.

A couple of ragchews. That's it, really. And stateside was BOOMING.

I called CQ for 20 minutes 20kc up from the H44. Two - TWO - takers. Maybe I'm not rare enough DX for people to spot (or notice if I am spotted). But it seems indicative of something: If it ain't on the 'cluster, people just don't bother.

And that's pretty sad.
    The new signature restriction is bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by WP2XX View Post

I called CQ for 20 minutes 20kc up from the H44. Two - TWO - takers. Maybe I'm not rare enough DX for people to spot (or notice if I am spotted). But it seems indicative of something: If it ain't on the 'cluster, people just don't bother.

And that's pretty sad.
    It is sad. But it is modern times. Now with packetcluster, internet, if it is not posted we don't even bother. Back in the day hams had to put in actual listening time to get the DX or work unexpected band openings.

You're right, it wasn't ground wave! The physics don't work. My guess would be sporadic E.

Some of my best dxing moments have been on dead bands, 10m and 15m in particular. I vividly recall working 5U (long path), ET3 (also LP), and having a VU answer my CQ, on stone dead nights. In the late 60s I began using a list of international non-ham stns as beacons with good results, and now often use the NCDXF network. Weak signal work is fun in my shack, so tuning through noise is second nature.

Some comments read on the zed often astonish me, since it's apparent far too many have neglected to develope essential listening skills. Just because a dx cluster shows no one in your region working anyone in no way guarantees there is no path open to somewhere.

In every country people need sleep,propagation or not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3