Callsign
ad: davisrf
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: great ham radio print that my wife gave me!

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters

Quote Originally Posted by K7JBQ View Post
    Back in my parent's generation, women did wear outfits like that. Men, however, did not wear pink shirts.
    Maybe that's what's bothering him.

Quote Originally Posted by N0NB View Post
    No way could I imagine sitting down at the rig in a tie but it seems that happened, perhaps not as much as the period ads would have us believe.
    It should be remembered that, in those days, having one's picture taken was a pretty formal occasion, and people would dress up for it. Does NOT mean they dressed or acted like that all the time.

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. Default

Nice NC-173! I used to operate with one of those. Also the same receiver Thor Herydal took along on the Kon Tiki ride.

I think my dad had it almost that good. Mom drew the line at bringing him his meals, but she put up with a lot of ham radio stuff. When Dad wasn't working, he was either home working on a project or on the air. He was good at all kinds of projects, but most of them were radio related in one way or another. He had a separate building for his ham shack, separated from the house by a short staircase and a walkway.

If you weren't around in the 50's you don't understand how different it was for women then. Even women my age have a hard time understanding that. I don't believe my daughter will be waiting on any sultans in the near future.

My wife is awfully nice to me sometimes, though she has learned that contest weekends are a good time to go out of town to visit kids.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Quote Originally Posted by N2EY View Post
    It should be remembered that, in those days, having one's picture taken was a pretty formal occasion, and people would dress up for it. Does NOT mean they dressed or acted like that all the time.
    Which was sort of my point, I guess. At times one does find shots of Field Day operations where more casual attire was worn. Casual for that time seems quite formal by today's standards. OTOH, growing up and having been around people who "were of age" during that time, wearing a suit and tie for even relatively informal occasions such as a radio club meeting was just how they preferred to present themselves. I know that I won't likely be doing that. Shoot, my dad rarely wears a suit and tie and he'll be 81 in a couple of weeks. Outside of business and certain social circles, such formality is quite uncommon today. I don't know if that is better or worse.
    Nate, Bremen, KS
    "Amateur radio--a real time social network using radio waves"

Being 67 I can remember those times. My question is the shape of the beer glass. I can remember seeing those used when I was a child. Was there any reason for the V shape of beer glasses ???
    Support bacteria.... Its the only culture some people have.

I don't know about the "V" shape, but here's a glass that melds both beer containers on her tray:

73, Steve
    43 years in Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by KB4BLU View Post
    Being 67 I can remember those times. My question is the shape of the beer glass. I can remember seeing those used when I was a child. Was there any reason for the V shape of beer glasses ???
    It concentrates and supports the head. That type of glass is usually used for a pilsner style beer. It is also designed to show off the color and clarity of the beer.
    Last edited by KB3CVO; 11-30-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    All hams should know how to soldier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3