Callsign
ad: Morse-1

Thread: Seeking 500 kHz - 600 meters operators experience / help.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters

Default Seeking 500 kHz - 600 meters operators experience / help.

I am investigating the possibility of operating on former international distress frequency 600 meters.
    Would appreciate commentary from someone who does the same. ( Please, I would appreciate that only real users of 600 meters band reply. No time wasting speculations, please.)
    The rig I am planning to use is of course 500 kHz crystal controlled and since I do not have a schematic (working on that) and have not performed smoke test on it I do no know how far is the 500 kHz frequency adjustable using same crystal. ( The Lx adjustment may be just for peak oscillator performance )
    Thanks for your time
    73 Vaclav

He is a list of the 58 guys who received an experimental 600 meter license. Chances are you will get better answers to your questions by emailing them directly.

Tom KCW

Permission to operate on the frequency of 500 kHz would be hard to obtain. That particular frequency is still a recognized marine emergency frequency by several countries. Even though 500 kHz is very seldom used these days, there are still a few stations in other countries that still monitor 500 kHz.

There have been official proposals to the ITU to make 500 kHz a "museum" frequency and another to make 500 kHz a world-wide emergency notification frequency.

All of the allocations made by the FCC for experimental operation have avoided allowing operation on 500 kHz. Also, the proposed amateur radio band for the 600-meter band has also avoided allowing operation on 500 kHz.

Glen, K9STH

I installed and maintained three different AM TIS stations on 530 KHz during my time as an emergency manager. Limited to 10 watts and a very short loaded vertical antenna by FCC rules. Over a good ground system this inherently inefficient system actually played pretty well. I have received SWL reports from 2000+ miles away. My point is that any "600 meter" band ultimately allocated will be both interesting and usable especially if the ERP is reasonable and there are no antenna restrictions.
    There are sheep. There are wolves who prey on the sheep. There are sheepdogs who protect the sheep from the wolves. God protect those of us who are sheepdogs.

Why not plan on using the new amateur radio allocation at 472 - 479 kHz (630 meters)? According to the ITU it is available on a secondary basis in all ITU regions. The allocation formally takes effect on January 1, 2013, though some countries, including Germany, have already authorized its use. Power is limited to 1 watt EIRP.
    73, Steve
    42 years in Amateur Radio

Disregard, this was a pointless rant. Thank you. Lesson to self: Don't over ride the "ignore" function.

Quote Originally Posted by KC0W View Post
    He is a list of the 58 guys who received an experimental 600 meter license. Chances are you will get better answers to your questions by emailing them directly.

Tom KCW
    Tom,
    many thanks for the list.
    Did not see anybody in TX on it, nice , no "competition" HI HI HI.
    I think it would be interesting to operate on shore of the Gulf of Mexico, Galveston TX to be exact.

I should have clarified that I am aware that exact 500 kHz is still in use and the "600 meter band" excludes specifically that frequency.

11 mi E. of OK, 22 mi S. of MO --Foothills of the Ozarks

Quote Originally Posted by WA4BRL
    Why not plan on using the new amateur radio allocation at 472 - 479 kHz (630 meters)? According to the ITU it is available on a secondary basis in all ITU regions. The allocation formally takes effect on January 1, 2013, though some countries, including Germany, have already authorized its use. Power is limited to 1 watt EIRP.
    Steve, are you saying that the 600 meter band will be available to U.S. amateurs, come January 1st? (I don't recall hearing any news that other than specific experimental ham licensees will get to operate this new band.) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I yearn to try my 80 meter turnstile configured as a flat-top cage vertical for transmitting on 600 meters. But trying to receive with this antenna at that wavelength gets me nothing but noise. However, I've sent reports to a number of hams I've heard down there, using my (much quieter) 540-foot beverage.