Callsign

View Poll Results: How do you listen to BBCWS?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • radio only

10 45.45%
  • online only

2 9.09%
  • mix of the two options

4 18.18%
  • I never listen to the Beeb

6 27.27%

Thread: BBC World Service listeners: radio or internet?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl

Default BBC World Service listeners: radio or internet?

I've been a daily BBCWS listener ever since I was in early high school. I still listen to the Beeb on SW (usually the West or South African services), but more and more I'm listening on the internet. I find it's not worth it to follow a frequency schedule. How do you listen to the Beeb these days, especially since their SW services have been severely curtailed?

Quote Originally Posted by AB2T View Post
    I've been a daily BBCWS listener ever since I was in early high school. I still listen to the Beeb on SW (usually the West or South African services), but more and more I'm listening on the internet. I find it's not worth it to follow a frequency schedule. How do you listen to the Beeb these days, especially since their SW services have been severely curtailed?
    Via telly once a fortnight or thereabout.
    73 de KB3LAZ

In lieu of achievement we have mediocrity.

I have one of these as a bedside "radio"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...hs_product_img

It was one of the first wi-fi radios so it's quite outdated now but it still works well.

I mostly use it to listen to BBC WS but also Radio 4, Five Live, Astronomy FM and a few others.

BBCWS appears overnight on our local PBS stations (except on saturday night on my favorite local PBS). when that happens i turn on the siriusxm--it appears there. if i'm on the street i can get it as a stream on my mobile phone. recent cuts to BBCWS (now funded out of the license fee instead of the foreign office) make it somewhat less interesting--radio 4 has a lot of the features that BBCWS had and this is available over the net.
    [I]*censored*[/I]

Hail my fellow Radio 4 lovers!!!!
    "The world is my country and to do good is my religion" - Thomas Paine, pamphleteer, radical, intellectual and author - 1737-1809.

Scott Carpenter - motorcyclist, banjo picker, piper, surfer and Skeptic.
    SKCC 9008

Quote Originally Posted by N6HCM View Post
    recent cuts to BBCWS (now funded out of the license fee instead of the foreign office) make it somewhat less interesting--radio 4 has a lot of the features that BBCWS had and this is available over the net.
    Completely agreed -- BBCWS quality has deteriorated quickly over the years. This is especially true after BBCWS moved from Bush House to Broadcasting House. BBC Radio 4 still has the radio plays and game shows that were once on BBCWS.

I listen to Radio 4 all day via their web stream. At midnight GMT (7 pm here in New York) I switch to "Funkhaus Europa", a digital music network hosted by a number of German broadcasters. I suggest the Funkhaus Europa "spirits" stream -- R&B, soul, blues, and international hip-hop. Good mix.

73, Jordan

The Michigan (U of M) FM network (They have several 100,000 W transmitters and more mid power 30-50kW outlets all over the state) rebroadcasts BBC WS all night. I believe it is cheap time filler when the aucience is at its minimum numbers. It's suprising that with all the money they get from PBS and corporate sponsors they can't hire a good classical music DJ for the night shift like Michigan State radio does.
    Anyone with a $29.95 portable with SW can hear this world service direct.
    Some years ago you could hear the North American service but they cut it due to diminishing budgets.
    Quote Originally Posted by N6HCM View Post
    BBCWS appears overnight on our local PBS stations....and this is available over the net.
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

On an old National HRO-50-T1. Great sensitivity and audio quality.

I hear it via NPR, when I'm in the car late evenings every now and then.
    73, Steve
    42 years in Amateur Radio