ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters

Thanks, I'll contact Rohn and Hutton again. Somebody is not right.
    Last edited by WH2HAO; 11-20-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    Hotel Alpha Oscar..

That is cold galvanizing for sure, I have used it on home built brackets etc. Rohn doesn't use it so someone somewhere along the line tried to hide bad weld(s) with it.

I have not read each and every post on this thread so possibly someone else has mentioned this. Is it possible that Hutton took the order for Rohn 25 but had an off site sub contractor warehouse actually ship the product? Is it possible that the off site warehouse pulled a switch of product without Hutton's knowledge? They got paid for shipping one product but shipped an inferior one to make more $$$. I think I would ask Hutton if they themselves shipped it from their warehouse or if someone else shipped it on their behalf. I know that you have been told by Hutton that it was Rohn but I really don't think you can ignore the opinions of the many of us who have experience with Rohn that what you have does not at all look like what Rohn produces. If it were me I would also want to know why Hutton charged double what the going price for the tower sections themselves is.
    There are sheep. There are wolves who prey on the sheep. There are sheepdogs who protect the sheep from the wolves. God protect those of us who are sheepdogs.

Wow! This post has really exploded. I think when I read it yesterday it was 3 or 4 pages. To WH2HAO--sound like to me you're doing all the right stuff. You got the right people to do the welding. You're in a tough spot concerning where you live and the circumstances you have to deal with. If you decide to continue with your project and put the tower up just take every safety precaution. I think there were suggestions made here about some publications to read and sources for advice if you need it. I will be happy to help any way I can as well.

Wayne
    N4EYZ
    ex-communications tower worker......longhand for retired

I am thinking the same thing as W7WR above; somebody somewhere along the way pulled an old switcheroo on the OP. Might have even happened closer to Guam than one would think, too. But the other almost dead giveaway is that double the usual price Did the OP order this through a local outlet, by any chance? If so, then I would suspect some local shenanigans were in play.

Having lived on a Pacific island nearly 11 years and dealing with exhorbitant shipping, price gouging and rampant corruption, well, need I say more?

Glad to see this thread has really stirred things up and we're all behind you in getting to the bottom of things, 73, Jeff

It's hard to believe, but the tower is also very bent. What is going on here. Rohn contacted me and said it is a Rohn tower, but that was the last I heard from them. The quality is terrible. Never again.. I'll try to get a pic of the bent structure, what a POS....
    Hotel Alpha Oscar..

How are you making out with this problem? Any progress?
    An analog guy living in a digital world.

Quote Originally Posted by WH2HAO View Post
    It's hard to believe, but the tower is also very bent. What is going on here. Rohn contacted me and said it is a Rohn tower, but that was the last I heard from them. The quality is terrible. Never again.. I'll try to get a pic of the bent structure, what a POS....
    As was said, the painted "welds" are something that Rohn does not do. They weld the parts of a section together, and then dip it in molten Zinc. No paint. I still don't believe what you have was produced by Rohn.

If by some fluke it is indeed a Rohn product, this can be considered an anomally. This, since Rohn may have produced enough 25G to reach to the Moon & back, and your problem is the first I've heard about. You're swearing-off Rohn, based on ONE instance. I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by KB3ZGV View Post
    How are you making out with this problem? Any progress?
    Yes...interested minds want to know...
    "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man."

Neil
    AE1P
    _. .... ._. _ _ _ _._. _._ ...

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by AE1P View Post
    Yes...interested minds want to know...
    That makes three of us who are interested.................
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast